Thread: Improving range - euphonium

1. Improving range - euphonium

I've started playing again after a brief 35 year break! I have been extremely pleased to find that I can still read music, remember the fingerings, and don't always sound like a moose in heat!

I can play from an F just below the staff to an Eb above the staff musically. I can make it up to a Bb above the staff, but it generally sounds like something is dying...

I read / play bass clef to help orient if it wasn't obvious.

What is the best way to improve my range - and what is a reasonable working range?

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on your return! Sounds like it's going well for you so far. Make sure to keep focusing on fundamentals every day, although you should also practice some real music, too.

To build up your strength and quality in the high range, take a look at this post:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...and-High-Range

For about 80% of the solos and 90% of band lit, you need a comfortable and solid-sounding high Bb. You should also set your sights on a decent high Eb above Bb for flashing endings in some popular solos, but that can wait (and may not even be part of your goals).

If you don't already have it, the COMPLETE Arban book is a fantastic resource. It costs around $58, but it is vastly improved over the editions that existed when you were previously active. For one thing, the 120 short songs for musical practice are included. I suggest practicing one of those each day, along with the etudes and exercises. The link below has that book. You might look at the Amsden Duets on the same page.

http://www.euphonium.com/store/metho...ks.html?id=102
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

David Vinings' two books Range Songs and Daily Routines are good. I can't post links, but they are very googlable.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I can vouch for Mr. Werden's post on the "Matteson Technique". I have used it to supplement my range building. It works great! Like he said in the post, it is also really good at forcing you to keep the tone the same quality as you ascend. This really helped me pop out a Db for Cavatine for juries last spring. I have also used David Vining's Daily routine book in the past and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It includes everything from basic easy stuff, to incredibly difficult stuff(for me anyways) that can continue to challenge you. Arbans, is also fantastic! It is one of my favorite book out there. I use brass gym on a daily basis as a general strength builder and to work on fundamentals. Any scales in general will help build range as well as getting more familiar with all the notes again. There are various etude books out there as well. Bordogni(rochut) is my favorite because of its song like nature.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84