Thread: New member, reentering the tuba world with a Mack Brass TU-200S

1. New member, reentering the tuba world with a Mack Brass TU-200S

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm re-entering the tuba world after an 8 year hiatus (during which time I finished undergrad and went to veterinary school). Now that I'm out and have a good paying job, I am finally at the point where I can justify the purchase of a horn so I can join a local community band here in Tucson, AZ.

Given that I am not a professional tubist, and I couldn't find any decent used tubas on the market here, after much research I contacted Tom McGrady at Mack Brass in VA and purchased one of his TU-200 horns. I've gotta say, this horn is great! I'll be honest, I can tell that the horn is Chinese -- the tuning slides are a bit "gritty," but I found the rotary valves to be quite nice. Granted, I've never played a "professional" horn, but I can tell you I sound just as good on this horn as I ever did on any Yamaha tuba or Conn sousaphone I've ever played. I don't regret my decision to purchase this horn in the least, and think it is perfect for my needs.

The biggest issue I have with this particular horn is that the silver plating is starting to bubble in some places (but no flaking yet). HOWEVER, Tom fully disclosed the plating issue and sold the horn to me at a discount, so I consider it a non-issue.

I honestly feel that these horns are an excellent value for an amateur musician. I doubt this horn will ever hold my playing back, and would highly recommend Mack Brass horns for students/hobbyists (or even professionals on a budget I suppose). I will be joining a community band at the end of this month and am looking forward to making music again!

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum and welcome back to the world of making music. Thanks for the review on the Mack Brass tuba.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Glad to hear you are happy with it. I have the same model as you. Best to you in your return to playing!

Congratulations!! I am in the same position, and just "getting back into" playing tuba after about 30 years of not playing. I looked at Mack, and thought they were a nice looking horn. I have never played one, however. I found my old Yamaha, so I went that direction.
    Yamaha YBB-631 Compensating 4/4 Brass