Thread: Largest mouthpiece I've seen on a euphonium

Largest mouthpiece I've seen on a euphonium

I am seated next to Walter Barrett in the Westchester Band. I noticed he uses a Doug Elliot mouthpiece with a 114 rim. His horn is an early Yamaha compensating horn model 641. Walter's compensating range and pedal range are rich and powerful, and he retains his open sound right up to the high range.

I just thought I'd mention this because I don't know any other euphonium player using that large a mouthpiece. I am curious to know if there are others.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I know Walter. He invited me to his house about 13 yrs ago when my wife and I were visiting our son in Westchester (who worked at IBM - Thomas J Watson Research Ctr). We played some duets together and I also had a 641 back then. I had just got back into playing 2 yrs earlier. I think Walt was using a Schilke 60 back then, so think he's used to big mpcs. Walt is a great guy with strong chops. Please tell him "Hi" for me.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I know Walter. He invited me to his house about 13 yrs ago when my wife and I were visiting our son in Westchester (who worked at IBM - Thomas J Watson Research Ctr). We played some duets together and I also had a 641 back then. I had just got back into playing 2 yrs earlier. I think Walt was using a Schilke 60 back then, so think he's used to big mpcs. Walt is a great guy with strong chops. Please tell him "Hi" for me.
    Rick:
    I will do that.

It's a treat sitting next to Walter. He has a very strong tone, never mentions my flubs in the high range, and has a endless supply of bad puns.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I was using a Doug Yeo Replica Bass Trombone mouthpiece when I got back into playing. I also have a Marcinkiewicz Contra Bass trombone mouthpiece I put in and it sounds like a small tuba https://www.marcinkiewicz.com/mouthp...e/contra-bass/ the 105. I switched to a Schilke d5.3 and it felt very small for a while.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

When I was playing bass trombone primarily, I also used a Doug Yeo replica, which is the same as the Elliott 114 rim, with roughly an Elliott L cup depth. It produced a very nice, rich, dark sound. Like doubling tenor trombone using Doug's 114 rims, the only time I struggled with it was light delicate playing in the upper register. Loud, full playing in the upper register was fine, but I struggled mightily with the light stuff. I'd still be playing it if I haven't moved back to baritone/euphonium/tenor trombone playing, where I do have to play high delicate stuff more regularly.

Charley Brighton uses my Wide 116 rim on euphonium. He has my K, L, and M cups for different instruments.
    All very big but it works for him and he sounds fantastic.

The Wide rim has the contour of a regular tenor trombone or euphonium rim, instead of being thin like most bass trombone mouthpieces.
    Last edited by DougElliott; 08-04-2015 at 12:22 AM.