Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Some Opinions On a Recording

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    IMO your solo has no problem cutting through. I'd be a fan of leaving out the piano entirely or at least reducing the volume of the piano. The Euph choir with solo is just so soothing and tranquil that the piano accompaniment, especially arpeggios could be a bit more delicately presented (just tickling the ivories).
    That would be interesting to hear, but I don't have that ability. Let me explain. The solo/piano version was recorded normally, as I have done my other YouTube videos with Sara on piano. We record "live" (either in front of a congregation or alone in the sanctuary) with stereo mics and a digital audio recorder running along with a digital camcorder. So the version I just put out on YouTube is in this mode.

Then, after the recording was finished and edited into the video, I did a separate session in my home studio recording the choir parts with a multi-track digital recorder as I listened to the solo/piano track. Once that was done, I had 5 tracks:
    - solo with piano
    - choir part 1
    - choir part 2
    - choir part 3
    - choir part 4

Then I created a separate session following the same pattern and created the muted version.

So the relationship between solo and piano is carved in stone, so to speak. This was actually an experiment in whether a person can use multi-tracking to enhance an existing "normal" recording, using readily-available technology.

I think part of the reason the choir version is not doing better in the voting here is that it doesn't quite fit. The acoustics were too different when I recorded those parts. I have played with them since, adding some reverb and moving into a wider stereo spread. That seems to help. I should have recorded them in the church, but it's hard to book the sanctuary and I don't like to tie it up too much for non-worship functions.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Add me to the list of people preferring the muted choir.

Another possibility would be to take the piano part and develop it for strings
    and/or woodwinds using a decent sample set.

Jim

Hi Dave,

I definitely prefer the "plain" version. Both the muted and open euphonium choir muddy the arrangement to me. It's too much of the same timbre in the tenor register for my ear. Were the players available, it'd be interesting to hear the choir parts in the soprano register with either strings or clarinets.

Also, in the vein of the multitracking experiement, it'd be interesting to hear the different voices of the choir done on different horns. I remember a while back you posted a series of videos of Neapolitan Dances with different types of euphoniums/baritones. I'm thinking if the choir were made up of a more diverse set of sounds it might help add more clarity and diversity to the recording.

Best,
    Adrian
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

I actually did consider the idea of different horns. From the bottom up, Eb tuba, euphonium, large bell of my double-bell, and baritone. I may try that sometime.

The suggestions of higher voices are attractive to my mental ears as well, but that will have to wait for a better opportunity.

Thanks for the continuing comments!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Let me see if I can find sheet music for this & cook something up with strings and/or
    woodwinds. Check this out for fun.
    Anituba 2.mp3
    Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 07-31-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Another possibility would be to take the piano part and develop it for strings
    and/or woodwinds using a decent sample set.
    Jim is a master of the Garritan Personal Orchestra VST plug-in. It'll be interesting to hear his arrangement.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12