Thread: Boosey vs Mack Brass

1. Question Boosey vs Mack Brass

First some background:
    I've been playing euphonium for the past 8 years, but never owned my own horn. Since I graduated high school a few months ago, I've been stuck playing a plastic trombone and York cornet from the 50s. I intend to play euphonium in college, though I'm not majoring in music. I do, however, plan on playing for the rest of my life. I played on a Yamaha YEP321 for the past 4 years.

I'm currently in a situation where I'm deciding between a restored 1905 Boosey 3+1 compensator and a Mack Brass compensator. The Boosey has been restored with replated valves, and I intend to try it out in the near future. Are there any specific things to think about trying such an old horn? No matter which of these two horns I purchase, I'll have to buy a new mouthpiece, since one is large shank and the other is euro shank. I've only ever played on small shank. I've seen so many good reviews of the Mack brass euphonium, but I also like the potential resale value of a Boosey instrument (which I may not get with a Chinese clone) Any thoughts?

That old a horn, especially a Brit one, will be pitched in A=452 or so.

Make sure it will go down to A=440 with all slides.

I too had a first decade Solborn, but it was not economically repairabe due to the valve block being too far gone and not able to be subbed by a modern replacement. The spacing on the tubing wouldn't match up.

DDG

I think the Boosey would be great for a collector or as a novelty. For a day-to-day player, I'd say go with the Mack Brass or a Wessex. Both have a very good reputation among the forum folks here; the Wessex offers some design/QA improvements and the option of a trigger and costs a bit more. Between this forum and my 2500+ Facebook connections I've seen only satisfied comments from owners of Mack or Wessex.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm looking for "Solbron" parts, if anyone has one that has gotten to that point - Carroll

Dan Oberloh has my old one for parts.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Dan Oberloh has my old one for parts.

DG
    Thanks, I'll check with him - Carroll