Thread: Maintaining an open airway

1. Maintaining an open airway

When playing in the higher register I sometimes feel that physical tension inhibits my tonal quality and symptoms can include a "clucking from the throat" or narrowing of the lips aperture which can sometimes lead to a sound that spit is being fired forward into the mouth piece as well as air, these symptoms do not happen at the same time but are independent issues though may have a common denominator in their cause. Generally my normal range tone is open and full. Higher register effected would be about top B or top C above the stave Treble Clef. Comments and Advice would be most welcome.

It's hard to diagnose some problems on a forum, but something that helped me when my tone sounded a bit pinched in the high register, is to use faster air rather than tightening up to get the higher notes. In practice it's always important to practice really low notes too. This will help your tone in the high range as well.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

See if the following post helps you:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...and-High-Range
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. As a remedial tool, I like to start the wind blowing and then slowly introduce the buzz into an already moving wind column. This likely will not sound all that great. But bear in mind, it is only an exercise. Often times the tongue will make the mouth close and then it is very difficult to reopen it at the point where the sound should begin. After a few blows, go back to normal tongue and blow. This can also help with range development as well. It all depends on the movement of air across the chops. No air, no buzz. Also when you master this, the attending pressure used when attempting high notes will not seem all that necessary. You may fatigue out on this in a short time, it doesn't mean that it is not working, but rather you are using muscles that are pretty green. Give some systematic exercising with plenty of rest. The other enemy here is the tongue crushing the oral cavity. Open vowels such as OO or UU will get the tongue in the lower portion of the cavity and keep it from blocking the air column. Lots to consider.
    BMB F tuba 445s
    BMB CC (BAT) 865s
    Mack Euphonium 1150s
    Wessex F Cimbasso

5. Thanks Guys for all your suggestions and advice