Thread: I got my own horn!

1. I got my own horn!

Hello, all! I am going to be a junior in high school this year, and lately I have been developing a deeper love and interest in the euphonium. After years of playing on a Yamaha 321, and my school not being able to afford new compensating horns, I decided I would get my own. I have been looking for the past few months at the chinese horns-specifically the wessex-but my local repair shop told me they would not be able to repair it should it get damaged. I turned my attention to looking on eBay and craigslist for a used horn. After a while, I came across this beautiful Miraphone 1258a at an amazing price. In the pictures you will see that there are a few small dents on the side, bottom, and on the bell. Yesterday I took it to my local repair shop, and they found that there was no corrosion in the slides, and that besides those dents, it had been taken care of very well. They are going to remove all those dents and I should have it back next week, just in time for the TMEA region music to come out. I am extremely excited to start playing on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2123.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	3214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	3215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2125.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	3216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2126.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1,016.8 KB 
ID:	3217
    Last edited by alexreeves; 09-05-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Nice horn! I'm sure it'll treat you very well.

That repair shop is just plain wrong though. The Wessex and it's Jinbao brethren are a clone of the Yamaha 642, so any repair shop should be able to get the parts for it and do the service. I checked with my local tech and he said he's worked on one and had no problems sourcing parts or working on the horn.

Congrats on your new horn, and welcome to the forum.

I agree with 'Mederlock' above. I think there are some brass repair techs that have an attitude about servicing Chinese-made horns. Some are harder to work on or get parts, but the Wessex shouldn't be one of those.

The Miraphone looks good in the pics.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Congrats on the new horn, and the horizons it will open up for you. It's a beauty!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL