Thread: Finally got to try an Adams E2

1. Finally got to try an Adams E2

Terry Panaanen had his E2 in Atlanta last week (.80, want to say Gold Brass?). Got to try it for a few minutes and was really impressed. Honestly not at all what I expected. There's a huge weight difference between his horn and my E1. Between that and the heavier valve section, I really expected it to be play like a tank. Surprise, this thing really responds well. The sound is simply HUGE. If were a full time brass band player I would really consider this model. Big and singing without any of the stuffiness that I've come to associate with "heavier" horns. I found the identity of the sound to be very similar to mine, just a bit bigger and richer. Only big change for me (besides the overall weight) was that the heavier valve buttons are a little clunkier. Would definitely take some getting used to.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

To be honest I think the E2 plays differently than an E1 with all the heavy trimmings. I played the E2 at ITEC and had fond memories of my 967.. but better tone, intonation, and projection. Where as with my E1 with all the fixings put on does have the bigger sound and same intonation, but feels slightly less flexible in the tone/timbre department. The E2 had the full package! If I had the money to do so I would probably own both an E1 for Solo type playing and a E2 for more Ensemble playing! Great horns all around though.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I have also played Terry's E2 and LOVED it - it reminded me of a Prestige that was easier to blow - built like a tank but with a sweet, sweet sound. I liked it so much more than a SS E1 that was also in the room. It definitely made me rethink which version I would go with when it is time to "upgrade". My Gold Brass E1 is still going strong though!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band