Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Experience - Bach 1 1/2G - How low is low?

1. New Experience - Bach 1 1/2G - How low is low?

My local community band only has one tuba player. He is a wonderful person in his 70's, and for a variety of reasons is forced to miss rehearsals and/or an occasional concert from time to time. So over the last couple of years I have found myself frequently playing tuba parts as his substitute. I always play the parts as written so spend most of my time in my 1st (pedal) or 2nd partial (4th valve range). While I practice in this low range every day as part of my daily range, I usually have to shift my embouchure when going into the pedal range to get best response. I was given a bass trombone (Bach 1 1/2G) mouthpiece on Thursday night and used it to play "tuba" on my Besson 967 on Friday night.

Wow! What a difference. I found myself able to "whack" out the oom-pahs on the marches and play from low Bb to pedal F with no embouchure shift. Now I know why bass trombone players can hammer out the low range. While I still do not have the presence of a real tuba in this low range, my fluency in the low range was greatly enhanced. While I could hit a high-C above Bb, my high range pitch was not great. I definitely do not recommend this mouthpiece for normal euphonium performance, but it sure was fun for what I was being asked to do.

Doug

PS My usual MPC is a Wick 4AL.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Yep, that one is a cavern by comparison. It can make that pedal range really sound off!

DDG

That is a huge mouthpiece. I sometimes play Bass Trombone and I use larger mouthpieces which really help the lower range as you mention but kills my upper register. I have a very strong upper register on Tuba but not on Euph/Bass Trombone.

When I played bass I started on a Bach 1 1/2. I ended up on a Doug Yeo replica (a Schilke 60/ Bach 1). I still have it and put it in the euphonium. I can hit it pretty low.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

When I was primarily playing bass trombone, I also used a Yamaha Doug Yeo (Schilke 60 size rim) and it was great. Very rich tenor tuba type sound. My high range didn't suffer unless I had to play light and pp volumes.

For low pedals I have to shift my embouchure as well (with SM4X on my Imperial). But I never tried the Bach 1 1/2 G on my Euph. Actually I play the tuba in my local concert band.

But reverse - when I play bass trombone parts in Bigband or Orchestra, I regularily play the Bach 1.5 G. Some weeks ago I had to play a little solo ("my secret love song" with concert band) on bass trombone. After struggling with response issues on my regular setup I sticked my SM4X into my bassbone (3 days before concert ). Superb response over the whole range, clear tone and nice high and low range. Result: After playing the first half of the concert on tuba I switched to Bassbone with SM4X - and all went fine.
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    [snip] I usually have to shift my embouchure when going into the pedal range to get best response. I was given a bass trombone (Bach 1 1/2G) mouthpiece on Thursday night and used it to play "tuba" on my Besson 967 on Friday night.

Wow! What a difference. I found myself able to "whack" out the oom-pahs on the marches and play from low Bb to pedal F with no embouchure shift. [snip]
    I have been asked to cover the bass trombone parts in my community orchestra. I use the SM4X mouthpiece, and I have to pivot my horn and shift embouchure to make sure the compensating range doesn't go sharp. I'm wondering if buying a Kelly 1.5G plastic mouthpiece would work in this situation? I'll check with my teacher - he might prefer that I not try that, but instead work on getting a clear low range with my usual mouthpiece. I'd appreciate comments from the community.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

A euphonium is not a tuba, and whacking out notes in the very low range is not a primary goal of the horn's designer. So if your chops don't mind switching, the big mouthpiece would indeed be helpful.

I know not everyone agrees with the following, but I think a 1-1/2 is too big for normal playing and does not give a true euphonium sound. I don't recommend it for all-around playing on euphonium parts/solos. For special uses, though, it's worth trying.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I agree with Dave that the mouthpiece is too large and not the right sound for general playing. If you are going to go that route I would not get a plastic mouthpiece if it were me. The plastic mouthpieces don't have the "core" to the sound as do metal mouthpieces. If you are going to be playing in the low range I'd go with a metal mouthpiece. That's my opinion and others may have differing opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    I agree with Dave that the mouthpiece is too large and not the right sound for general playing. If you are going to go that route I would not get a plastic mouthpiece if it were me. The plastic mouthpieces don't have the "core" to the sound as do metal mouthpieces. If you are going to be playing in the low range I'd go with a metal mouthpiece. That's my opinion and others may have differing opinions.
    Thank you, Davidus1. I was thinking that I didn't want to spend much money on something that is a mere whim, which I would use only once in a blue moon. Maybe if I see someone selling a used Back 1.5G for $15, I'll pick it up.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast