Thread: What is Wessex New Z Valve?

1. What is Wessex New Z Valve?

Wessex Z Valve out of tuba, showing the moving valve inside sleeve

Rotary valves have been around for more than 150 years, but in that time they have little changed. The valve is assembled within casing built into the tuba held in place by a back plate which is hammered into place with valve cap screwed over the top to stop falling out. The system works well, but has major disadvantage in being difficult to disassemble and assemble for maintenance meaning usually a visit to skilled repair technician is required.

The Wessex Z valves overcomes this problem and makes maintenance easy for the player. Instead of the valve being fitted direct into horn, the valve is within sleeve which slides into the horn being held in place by an easy to remove screw. So if valve is sticking, disconnect linkage, undo screw holding Z valve in place, remove rear cap and slide out valve assembly complete.

Once out, the valve can be soaked to remove any deposit and cleaned and lubricated.
    Also once out, bumper alignment can be adjusted directly, so the valve lines up with the ports precisely - so much better than relying on line at hub of valve spindle as on regular rotary valves, where a slight misalignment would not be obvious.

And if over time a valve wears and needs replacing, with the Z valve it is easy to completely replace all mechanical parts, so that if taken care, a horn so fitted can play on forever.

Wessex believe their new patented Z valve a major improvement - and are delighted to make available to our customers.

So far the Z valve is being fitted to new TB575 BBb Luzern tubas, TC570 CC Mahler tubas and TB577 BBb XL tubas - with roll out to other models planned in the future.

http://www.wessex-tubas.com/z-valves/

Wessex Z Valve out of tuba showing how alignment can be precise

The beautiful engraving on top of Wessex Z valves. Also see the screw in side to make removal easy

Wessex Z valves can be easily distinguished from regular rotary valves by the flat back valve cap, engraved with Wessex Wyvern
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

What a cool idea!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I know where I'm buying a tuba when I get around to it

Fantastic idea!

5. Is the process of oiling these valves any different than typical rotars?

6. No the oiling process is no different and no different oil is required. What is a lot easier is oiling inside of valve when required.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I wonder if there will ever be a compensating euphonium with rotary valves? Or has there been one already?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

There already has been. It was made by laetzsch and was GORGEOUS. They told me they only sold two of them because it was just too expensive to make.