Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Besson New Standard in Satin Silver - 1978-ish - Beautiful Condition

Thumbs up FS: Besson New Standard in Satin Silver - 1978-ish - Beautiful Condition

I think this is the nicest New Standard I've seen in decades! No visible dents and the satin silver finish is "worn less than 2%" according to the seller. This is the large-receiver era. It includes a new hard case (MTS, I think).

The buy-it-now price is $3,950. I suspect you won't find one in this condition for less, but that's only because you never see one in this condition. Is it worth it? I really don't know. The quality and character of these horns are terrific. The new case would help you keep in in its current condition. Here is a recording of my playing the same model in 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNE6WtAOdg (I was using a Bach 5G at the time.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESSON-NEW-STANDARD-4-VALVE-COMPENSATING-EUPHONIUM-NO-DENTS-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-/261932861715

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_12.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	3172 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	3173 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	3174
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Man that looks nice!! Sure is tempting.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It is GORGEOUS! If it plays half as good as it looks, this will be a winner.

4. My NS is a 1978 as well and a wonderful horn but $3950 for this horn, although pristine, is a pipe dream IMO and may be just an attempt at testing the water so to speak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails euph.JPG  
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    ...but $3950 for this horn, although pristine, is a pipe dream IMO and may be just an attempt at testing the water so to speak
    I'm not sure I disagree with that, but I suppose if one really wants a New Standard in top condition, there aren't a lot of chances to get one. Time will tell!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Guess I'm the one on the other end of the pipe dream. This is the exact model I played in college and was what brought me to the beauty of the euphonium, after a high school career of playing whatever baritone the cat dragged in. Nostalgia has a price, and in this case it's $3950. Come to Papa!

PS: anybody looking for a deal on a good used Sovereign?
    Last edited by Pat; 06-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Hello Pat, how much?
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

8. Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    This is the exact model I played in college and was what brought me to the beauty of the euphonium ... Come to Papa!
    Pat

A Big Congratulations on scoring this beautiful time-capsule classic and a great modern player to boot. Dave was right on the money with his comment to my post and I'm happy to stand corrected. Sounds like big fun is in your playing future Enjoy!

Bob
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Chris, I'll try to remember to bring it to practice next week so you can give it a try. It takes a large shank mp... Does your Kanstul use a large shank mp as well?
    Last edited by Pat; 06-18-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Yes. I have two, a 4AL and deg Bb1. Congrats on the beautiful horn! Will you be switching over to our side of the back of the band?
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast