Thread: R.I.P. Kelly Thomas - Shocker

R.I.P. Kelly Thomas - Shocker

Here is the beginning of the announcement from the link below:

Our friend and newly elected vice-president/president-elect, Kelly Thomas, passed away very early this morning, June 8, 2015. Our collective thoughts and prayers are with Jana and Kelly and Jana's four children. When I spoke with Jana, I told her that she has our support as she goes through this very difficult time.

http://iteaonlinenews.blogspot.com/2...ly-thomas.html
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

A sad loss for the tuba/euph community and all those who had the opportunity to meet him. I was lucky enough to meet him personally at TMEA this year, and wow, what a tremendous individual! You will be missed Kelly Thomas.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I will donate 50% of proceeds from sales at two webpages to the family of Kelly Thomas. Kelly was true professional who was fun to know and a joy every time I had a chance to visit. I will truly miss him.
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com/hymn-books.html
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com/specials.html

So sorry to hear this. I never had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Thomas. He was only 40 yrs old.

An interview this past March on WUOT:
    "Our Lovable Nature": Remembering UT Tuba Professor Kelly Thomas
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Terrible news. Dr. Thomas was very kind to me when I joined ITEA and, though he was busy, answered all my questions about the ITEC.

6. I am in shock. I literally chatted with him in his office 2 months ago. The guy had just gotten his dream job at Tennessee. Just a great human being, a truly joyful person to be around.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

I learned of Kelly's death about 3 days ago and I still get that heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I think of it--which is often. I made Kelly's acquaintance only briefly, in connection with the recent SERTEC that he hosted. We discovered a personal connection that made us each rather special to the other right off the bat. Everything that has been said about how friendly and embracing he was is true to my brief experience with him. I was really looking forward to more contact with him in the future. And just like that, he's gone from this earth. And for all I know, I may be next! The apostle James spoke truly: "What is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by knuxie View Post
    I will donate 50% of proceeds from sales at two webpages to the family of Kelly Thomas. Kelly was true professional who was fun to know and a joy every time I had a chance to visit. I will truly miss him.
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com/hymn-books.html
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com/specials.html

Running this offer until midnight tonight. Thank you for your responses.

I am very grateful to forum members and others who contributed to the Kelly Thomas fund. It has already exceeded the $50k goal, which is great news for the family!!

Giving is not cut off, though, so if you wish to give and haven't yet, here is the link:

https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...-memorial-fund
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium