Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Ols Ambassador 4-Valve Euphonium - Straight Bell - Nice Condition!

Thumbs up FS: Ols Ambassador 4-Valve Euphonium - Straight Bell - Nice Condition!

I think this horn is very well priced. It's the Olds Ambassador, which was not the top of the line. It is roughly like the King Cleveland line. But they are nice-playing solid horns with good sound and intonation. This one appears to be in very nice condition. For a 4-valve horn that is this clean, his buy-it-now price of $495 is quite good. There is also a bidding option (minimum $300). No case or mouthpiece. Seller has 100% positive feedback.

If you would like an American horn, check this out. I think it is a very good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-OLDS-AM...-/291486473090

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	3132 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	3133
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The seller has dropped the Buy it Now option. There's one bid at this writing for $300. I guess someone told the seller he or she could get more than the BIN price. We'll see.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

If it does go over 500, then it's a good example of why we need to move quickly sometimes!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

4. Quote Originally Posted by Garcky View Post
    The seller has dropped the Buy it Now option. There's one bid at this writing for $300. I guess someone told the seller he or she could get more than the BIN price. We'll see.
    For "no reserve" auctions, on Ebay the ability to "Buy It Now" automatically disappears after the first bid
    Last edited by tampaworth; 06-09-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

I won it! I got it for $405....$90 cheaper than the buy it now price. For auctions where I'm willing to pay the starting price, but not sure about the buy it now price, I usually give it a shot to try to save a little more. This was within $15 of my max bid, so I almost didn't get it!

Now that I've won the auction, I need to get a case and a mouthpiece. I'm thinking of the new Wessex gig bag. As far as mouthpieces, I'm thinking of the Wick 4AY....Dave sure sounds great on his double bell on that one, and I play the Wick 4 size. What do y'all think of those selections for this horn?

I haven't played a horn like this since high school. I did play the school owned Ambassador that was a front bell 3 banger. My memory is that these horns are easier to play even if the tone isn't as good as the British style horns. We'll see soon enough!

Congratulations on your win! The Wessex gig bag looks pretty good to me in the photos, although I have never touched one.

I think you should try a 4AY, but be aware the intonation could be more challenging with it. If that proves to be true, a Bach 5G might work better.

Have fun!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks Dave...pardon my ignorance, but what could be more challenging with the 4AY with horns like these? Too flat overall?

BTW Dave, thanks so much for flagging this on the site. I was checking ebay every once in a while, but I might have missed this one were it not for your post. Yet another reason why this is such an awesome forum!

Quote Originally Posted by euphdude View Post
    Thanks Dave...pardon my ignorance, but what could be more challenging with the 4AY with horns like these? Too flat overall?
    Maybe too flat overall, but probably not. There is usually ample slide range to fix that. But too large a mp may exaggerate some intonation problems on a horn. I still think it's worth a try, though, especially if the 4 rim is what you are now used to.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Hey Dave, what is your experience with the Wick 4BS on horns like these? I will try the 4AY first, as that is essentially the same as my 4AL, but in small shank. The Wick 4 rim is definitely what I'm used to. I've got a Doug Elliott 103/E/E3 to try too, but that is a 6.5AL cup with a Wick 4 rim. Possibly too bright?

10. My experience with American baritones is that a Wick 4 anything is pretty big. Pitch gets difficult in the high range and range itself becomes an issue. I play a Wick 4AL on my Besson Sovereign and either the 4AL or an Alliance E3 on my Sterling. I use a Wick 4AY when playing a Yamaha 321. But I use either a Bach 5G or 6 1/2AL on my Conn 24I. A 4BS does help since it has a shallower cup.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast