Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Compensating Revisited

1. Eastman Compensating Revisited

Hey guys,

I know there was a discussion going about the EEP-526 euphonium a while ago......well I was at work today and found out that we got a new Eastman compensating euphonium in and my manager said that I will be able to try it out tomorrow! I will give you guys hopefully a halfway decent review of it as I plan to spend an hour or so on it. From what I saw however, it seems to look like a Miraphone copy.

I'll give you guys details tomorrow....

UPDATE: 6/5/15

So today I tried out the Eastman while I was at work, and I must say that I am heavily surprised by it. The tone was dark and almost singing like, however for me that only happened when I went into either the high register or the low register, the middle register just didn't seem to nearly sing as much as the others but that may just be a user error. For those that do not know about the horn I will give you a quick run-down of the specs.

.610” bore, .630” 4th valve bore
    11.4” yellow brass upright bell
    Stainless steel pistons

One thing that I noticed is that it felt a lot like the Miraphone Euphoniums I have gotten the chance to try meaning that it was very free blowing and took a very large amount and needless to say that I don't have the lung capacity (yet) to play this horn to it's fullest potential. Also the valves seemed to be very slow but that is just me. As far as response of the horn is concerned all I can say is wow! For me the High Ab is a trouble note for me to hit on a single attack, but when I tried it with this horn I got a very full Ab to come out the first shot. I highly recommend that you try the horn out if you get the chance because for $3300 dollars, you get a great horn that if you have the lungs for will definitely work for what you need. As always thanks for reading this, for this is my first horn review so if there is anything you guys think I should add let me know!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150605_150318.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	3130
    Last edited by euphish; 06-05-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add Attachments

2. Updated 6/15/2015

Thanks for the update. What finish options are available? Also what music shop do you work at? Do you have pics?

Thanks in advance.

.610 and .630 are the same bores as the Miraphone 5050.

5. Yes I have one good picture and I will upload it shortly for you. As far as the finish is concerned, it is only available in silver plate. I am currently working for Music and Arts so we special order Eastman products even though they are not offered online.
    Last edited by euphish; 06-05-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Dr. Eddie Elsey, professor at Univ. of North Alabama plays the Eastman horn. When I watched his video "Suite for Baritone-Don Haddad", I thought he was playing the Miraphone 5050 and noticed he didn't have a tuning trigger. I contacted him and asked how he played the concert 'G' on the staff in tune fingered 1-2. He replied back that it wasn't a M5050 but the Eastman horn and he got a very good one. The Eastman horn sounds and looks very good.

Here's a link to that video if interested:
    "Suite for Baritone-Don Haddad"
    Last edited by RickF; 06-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by euphish View Post
    Yes I have one good picture and I will upload it shortly for you. As far as the finish is concerned, it is only available in silver plate. I am currently working for Music and Arts so we special order Eastman products even though they are not offered online.
    Thanks for the picture and the update.

8. Rick,

I saw that video a while ago and I will agree with you on that!

The 5050 bell is 12.2" vs. the Eastman's 11.4," which should make a real difference in projection and sound spread. Professor Elsey sounds great on the Eastman, thanks for the video Rick!

According to the Eastman website, the EEP526 has the following specs:

- .610" bore, .630" 4th-valve bore
    - 12" yellow brass, upright bell

(been looking at the M5050 but have also been made aware of a potential deal on an EEP526...so, sorry about reviving this old thread!)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast