Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuba-Euphonium quartets-ensembles

Tuba-Euphonium quartets-ensembles

How many of you are currently playing in a tuba-euphonium ensemble? I'd like to get one started in my area as we have several players but I haven't approached them yet.

I'd be interested in your guy's thoughts and advice as well, as this is something I'd like to start too

I don't play in one now, but I did for about 20 years. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you all agree on the overall goal. If you just want to throw stuff together now and then for an Octubafest or something, that's fine. Or if you want to get really polished and do some serious recitals, that's fine too. But it's helpful if all 4 have the same idea.

There is about a ton-and-a-half of music out there already. Cimarron Music alone has 725 titles in the EETT format! Or you can do arrangements of your own. In our group, 3 of us contributed arrangements. These were somewhat tailored to the talents of our group (in some cases I had to modify them a bit to publish them so more groups could play them).

So go for it! It is great experience and you'll really hone your chamber ensemble skills.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The Atlantic Tuba Quartet was a tremendous group Dave! Big fan!

Mederlock - I am playing in a community band but we have several Tuba and Euph players. I'm going to try to get something informal started just for fun this fall and if things progress try to include the group in some type of brass recital or concert if possible. I think we could even substitute with a trombone if needed but I don't think that will be necessary. As Dave mentions....there is a LOT of music available. I appreciate the point about agreeing on goals. I am mostly interested in playing for fun but would like to be able to perform at church occasionally as well. I need to research the music to see if there is appropriate church music for quartets available which I'm sure there is. I wish you well in your quest! Let us know if you are able to get a group together.

At UTEP, We have one that is EETT setting, and it is a whole lot of fun. We do a brass day at our university for recruiting and community bonding purposes and as part of it, our brass department gets to do a mini recital of what our students and faculty are capable of. We were lucky enough to have our quartet perform the William Tell Overture, and got quite the reaction. Most people don't know what our instruments are capable of. William Tell was a blast and truly showcased some of what the Tuba and Euphonium can do. We Typically meet once a week when preparing music, and often have some random reading sessions. We do some serious music, like William Tell, and also Night on Bald Mountain(tuba 1 has an insane part btw), but also do more fun audience pieces like Pirates of the Caribbean medley. Next semester we will be looking at more serious and Tuba quartet specific/originals and getting on the university's weekly student recital. Like mentioned by others, a common goal is ideal, but don't be afraid to venture outside the normal routine of your group.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I'm not in one now but some years ago, Dr. Michael O'Connor from PBA university organized a group with 4 euphs and 4 tubas. Carlyle Weber and one of Michael's students played first part, we other two second and/or third parts. This was a lot of fun. Hearing your pitch is a smaller group is easier and I learned to listen better. We played some of Winston Morris' arrangements since Michael O'Connor got his BA at Tenn Tech.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    At UTEP, We have one that is EETT setting, and it is a whole lot of fun. We do a brass day at our university for recruiting and community bonding purposes and as part of it, our brass department gets to do a mini recital of what our students and faculty are capable of. We were lucky enough to have our quartet perform the William Tell Overture, and got quite the reaction. Most people don't know what our instruments are capable of. William Tell was a blast and truly showcased some of what the Tuba and Euphonium can do. We Typically meet once a week when preparing music, and often have some random reading sessions. We do some serious music, like William Tell, and also Night on Bald Mountain(tuba 1 has an insane part btw), but also do more fun audience pieces like Pirates of the Caribbean medley. Next semester we will be looking at more serious and Tuba quartet specific/originals and getting on the university's weekly student recital. Like mentioned by others, a common goal is ideal, but don't be afraid to venture outside the normal routine of your group.
    This sounds like a great idea. Sounds like some challenging music as well. We will have a mixed bag with the quartet we are forming. There will be a mix of experienced and inexperienced players so we'll start with moderate level difficulty at most initially. thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I'm not in one now but some years ago, Dr. Michael O'Connor from PBA university organized a group with 4 euphs and 4 tubas. Carlyle Weber and one of Michael's students played first part, we other two second and/or third parts. This was a lot of fun. Hearing your pitch is a smaller group is easier and I learned to listen better. We played some of Winston Morris' arrangements since Michael O'Connor got his BA at Tenn Tech.
    Rick - Were the arrangements made for that size/type of group or were you simply doubling parts on traditional quartet music. I'm sure that is a tremendous sound with a group that size!

When in the Army Band I played in a few quartets and also Brass Quintet. All were a lot of fun. I appreciate the feedback and the great stories. Good stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast