Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuba-Euphonium quartets-ensembles

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I don't play in one now, but I did for about 20 years. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you all agree on the overall goal. If you just want to throw stuff together now and then for an Octubafest or something, that's fine. Or if you want to get really polished and do some serious recitals, that's fine too. But it's helpful if all 4 have the same idea.

There is about a ton-and-a-half of music out there already. Cimarron Music alone has 725 titles in the EETT format! Or you can do arrangements of your own. In our group, 3 of us contributed arrangements. These were somewhat tailored to the talents of our group (in some cases I had to modify them a bit to publish them so more groups could play them).

So go for it! It is great experience and you'll really hone your chamber ensemble skills.
    Are any of these recordings available in either mp3 or cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Rick - Were the arrangements made for that size/type of group or were you simply doubling parts on traditional quartet music. I'm sure that is a tremendous sound with a group that size!
    Most of the arrangements were for quartets so we had to double up. One piece I remember that we did was "Contrapunctus IX". A great fugue arr. by Mike Forbes.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks Rick! I appreciate that.

Are any of these recordings available in either mp3 or cd?
    If you go to Cimarron's site and search by instrumentation, for Tuba Quartet (EETT), you'll see many have MP3 files right there.
    The Atlantic Tuba Quartet album is out of print, but I have a couple irons in the fire to work on a re-publication on CD.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you go to Cimarron's site and search by instrumentation, for Tuba Quartet (EETT), you'll see many have MP3 files right there.
    The Atlantic Tuba Quartet album is out of print, but I have a couple irons in the fire to work on a re-publication on CD.
    I did notice that there were mp3s on the site. I hope you can get the re-publication going. That would be great.

Rick - Were the arrangements made for that size/type of group or were you simply doubling parts on traditional quartet music. I'm sure that is a tremendous sound with a group that size!
    Winston Morris' group at Tennessee Tech and his professional group "Symphonia" used 6-8 parts. Most arrangements were written for them. Some are published, but I don't have a list.

Doubling also works well.

When I did my arrangement of the March from Holst's Second Suite I did a 4-part version and a 6-part version. Symphonia played the latter.

Cimarron has about 34 for larger-size E/T ensembles.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Winston Morris' group at Tennessee Tech and his professional group "Symphonia" used 6-8 parts. Most arrangements were written for them. Some are published, but I don't have a list.

Doubling also works well.

When I did my arrangement of the March from Holst's Second Suite I did a 4-part version and a 6-part version. Symphonia played the latter.

Cimarron has about 34 for larger-size E/T ensembles.
    Thank you. I appreciate the info. I've been looking through the Cimarron site. Some good stuff there. Some pretty tough stuff as well. With the potential of having students in this group I'll have to pick things that are a good fit. Lots of options though. Thanks for the resource.

You can browse my stuff at sheetmusicplus. http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/publis...2?aff_id=15680
    Last edited by davewerden; 09-11-2015 at 06:46 AM.

We have formed our tuba quartet and are practicing. May have our first performance at a concert in November. It would only be opening for the concert band. We have two tubas, trombone and euphonium. I've purchased quite a bit of music off of Cimarron and BVD Press and will continue to acquire more music as we progress. We are having a lot of fun with it and I hope the forum users here are involved in a small group like this. It really is a blast and will improve your playing.

knuxie - I missed your post. Thanks for posting and I'll check out your music. Dave - I purchased "The Washington Post" march and some others of yours from Cimarron. We're having fun with them. I would still purchase the Atlantic Tuba Quartet recordings if they were available on either CD or digital download.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12