Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tempest Agility Winds

1. Tempest Agility Winds

Earlier this year I was able to try out a tempest agility winds compensating euphonium. I was really impressed for the few minutes I tries it. The rep said the horns are made in Germany, and the price is great. Anyone have any long term experience with Tempest?

I have not seen/played one or even heard about them. I can tell you that some of the Chinese clones use phrases like "German engineered" or "German design" to imply a different origin. I've looked at their website and can't find the word "German" anywhere. Where did you hear they were German?

The text on the site says they have stainless steel valves, but the demo video says monel valves. That may have been a change made along the way.

If it IS a Chinese instrument it is probably along the lines of Schiller, Wessex, etc. Wessex adds some of their own design and QA to the process, and maybe Tempest does something similar. They might also be like JP Sterling, where there are both Chinese production facilities and British input involved.

I'm just shoveling smoke right now because I don't have many specifics. If you have a source for better information, please post it here so we can all learn more!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I looked closely at the photo of the compensating euphonium, and it looks very similar to the Chinese horns. But looks can be deceiving, so it would still be great to get some hard facts on the horns manufacture.

The only reference I can find on the forum to the Tempest euphonium was from someone who didn't sound totally happy with it (but we don't know which model):

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...hlight=tempest
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Tempest horns are the same horns as mack brass for more than twice the money. Don't fall for their scam.

Lee hipp is their tuba guy, and he has enough integrity to not repeat the owners lies

5. While I can't confirm for certain if he is lieing, the owner said Germany. I specifically asked where the horns were made, and he said made in Germany, so who knows. I was really impressed with the sound of all the instruments at the booth, but again, long term use may vary. I may call them and ask.

6. Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    Tempest horns are the same horns as mack brass for more than twice the money. Don't fall for their scam.

Lee hipp is their tuba guy, and he has enough integrity to not repeat the owners lies
    Wow, if that is true, it is a shame. I know their flutes are really popular and well made.

The man said that the same person who helped get miraphone to the U.S. got tempest over here too.

I am SLOWLY becoming somewhat of an amatuer expert. I am researching low cost compensating euphonium models. I plan to make a purchase approx Feb 2016 (tax time! LOL!) Now I am aware that alot can change in a few months, and that is exactly why I have been doing my research early! BTW this forum has been an indespensible resouce of information for me. So THANKYOU Dave, and everyone. But I have also poured over company websites and even made some phone calls to ask some very specific questions.
    As to Tempest, like everyone else, I do NOT know for sure. However, EVERY indication that I can see shows them to be the SAME chinese (JinBoa) stencil patterned after the Yamaha 642. These JinBoa horns are the same used for Mack, Schiller, and even Wessex. Also, the same used for Dylan, Tuba Exchange, and the Sam Ash Jean Baptiste. The things to keep in mind are WHO is doing the importing, and what is done to the instument AFTER it enters the country, but BEFORE it is offered for sale. In this, in my mind, nobody can beat the price PLUS upgrades, PLUS service and warranty offered through Wessex. Unless something changes, they are who I plan to do business with.
    I looked into the Tempest, and wondered WHY they were priced so much higher? It is the same horn, if you consider the following. Tech specs: (bore size/bell diameter) Tubing layout, leadpipe position. One other "clue" for me personally, was inspecting OTHER models of instuments offered by comparison. Looking closely at their marching euph, and their valve trombone, they seem to match up exactly with what is offered out of the JinBoa chinese factory. Also, the trombone models have the some dimensions and bracing layout. My point is, don't just compare ONE instrument, compare the ENTIRE product line offered. You will see that for every horn Tempest offers, the exact same horn is offered through JimLaabs, using the Schiller name, and/or Wessex. At least those guys are more upfront and honest about the sourcing for their horns.
    I HAVE read of OTHER non-JinBoa factories in China. One is the Wisemann factory. So it IS true that not EVERY chinese horn is a JinBoa. But it is ALSO true, that JinBoa is the largest and most prolific. I strongly suspect them to be the same source of the Andalucia, and I KNOW the O'malley is definately a JinBoa.
    One other dead giveaway when comparing these horns in pictures ONLY, is to examine the lower branch ferrules. There is a distinctive double line pattern that ALL of the JinBoa clones share.
    But at the end of the day, get the Tempest guys on the phone. Ask them why they are priced higher than their competetors? Ask them where their horns are manufactured, and is that different from where they are assembled? Email works fine for these inquires, but sometimes a phone call with a potential customer who is willing to hold, will STILL produce the best results in customer service!

8. According to this Tubenet thread

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59874

These are in fact JinBao horns, and the rep which I talked to has been telling everyone they're German made. Such a shame, I don't think I could do business with a company whose owner blatantly lies like that. The horns are great, but overpriced.

When I mentioned to Lee Hipp that the ownedr was claiming these horns were made in Germany, he looked annoyed and said "No, these are chinese horns, but really good quality chinese horns"

10. You can't get any more misleading to the uninformed than this.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	936.2 KB 
ID:	3081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	512.2 KB 
ID:	3082
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast