Thread: how much is my euphonium worth? (estimate)

1. how much is my euphonium worth? (estimate)

conn bellfront euphonium circa 1980s, good used condition. serial number 703001
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by bandwizard420; 05-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

Value is partly subjective and varies with the market at the time.

These horns were nice instruments for the type, but that type has fallen in popularity. Most want the more European-style horns. Conns were one of the best brands in American horns. Yours appears to be the starter model, which limits the value a bit. You notice the ends of the slide don't have the extra "roll" and the bell is not adjustable.

The Artist model, which has fancier braces, adjustable bell, and the little slide rolls, would be worth more. Sometimes those are listed at $1,000 or more, but I doubt many are sold at prices like that. The horn would need to be nearly pristine and you would have to find a collector or someone with a soft spot for these horns.

Your model used to be called the Director (not sure if that name stuck around into the 1980's). It has a fine sound. Intonation is as good as the Artist. Tone is generally not quite as good, although I'm not sure why. But the horn is really light to hold, and would be great for stand-up jobs or parades! Anyway, you need to figure it is worth less than an Artist. Off the top of my head I would say $400-600 as a private sale, if you can find the right buyer.

Just one man's opinion.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thankyou so much!

4. Do you have any idea of the year that this horn was made?

Neat old horn. I think I played on one in high school!