Thread: Best valve oil to use for B&H Sovereign Euphonium and Besson Sovereign Baritone

Best valve oil to use for B&H Sovereign Euphonium and Besson Sovereign Baritone

Hey all,

Just a short one. What would be the best valve oil you could recommend to use on a B&H Sovereign (round stamp) Euphonium and a Besson Sovereign Baritone? They are about 20-30 years old. I am currently using Yamaha Regular Synthetic Oil but I feel as though it isn't lasting long and its not having a great effect. It could be the valves themselves but just thought that changing oils might make things better. I have some spare Al Cass Valve Oil lying around if that usually works better on the older type of instruments.

Thanks guys

I had 2 Sovereigns from around that era. Synthetics have never worked for me in general. The first time I tried them was with these horns. I switched (back) to Al Cass. Since that time I have found that Blue Juice works better than Al Cass.

Blue Juice Valve Oil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61s7uYY6gZL._SL1489_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	3054
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I had 2 Sovereigns from around that era. Synthetics have never worked for me in general. The first time I tried them was with these horns. I switched (back) to Al Cass. Since that time I have found that Blue Juice works better than Al Cass.
    So much of this is related to tolerance, clearance, wear, etc. One interesting observation is that with my Wisemann 900 Tuba, the initial valve tolerance was so tight that only the thinnest petroleum based oil (i.e. Al Cass or Roche Thomas) would do the trick. One year later, Al and Roche seemed to not be lasting all that long so I've gone back to Blue Juice (seems a bit more substantial than Al) with wonderful, longer lasting results. On my Sovereign, I've always used Blue Juice with great results.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim