Thread: Skin Puffing when I play

Skin Puffing when I play

Hi all,

I am not really sure how to pinpoint the source of my problem, but every time I play my euphonium or trombone the skin below my neck puffs out and I look somewhat similar to a frog with a double chin. (It's ridiculous.) Could it be a problem with my embouchure? I'm not certain. Any advice to fix this problem would be great!

I've had no experience with such a thing. If it were me, I would demonstrate it for my family doctor. Maybe you have a small leak in the airway or somewhere.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I had a student about 40 years ago with that 'syndrome.' For some reason there was little or no control of the muscles in the neck. His cheeks also puffed (Gillespiesque) and he could not even get the 2nd line g on the trumpet, having little or no control of the "Orbicularis Oris". (the muscles surrounding the chops) Was it a neurological phenomenon? Of the hundreds of students I have had, that was the only case I encountered. Since he gave up after a short time, (mostly due to other problems) this became a moot issue and I never did learn anything clinical about it.

I find it a struggle just to learn and keep up on what is a 'normally' functioning physical apparatus for playing music. The 'abnormal' issues simply throw me through a loop.

It would be interesting and very helpful reading if a neurologist would address these issues as related to brass playing in a booklet or video.

We have heard from other members from the scientific community.
    Anyone else out there ready to chime in?

PLEASE!!!!
    Last edited by paulmaybery; 05-12-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    BMB F tuba 445s
    BMB CC (BAT) 865s
    Mack Euphonium 1150s
    Wessex F Cimbasso

Quote Originally Posted by paulmaybery View Post
    We have heard from other members from the scientific community.
    Anyone else out there ready to chime in?

PLEASE!!!!
    Yes, I agree. Anyone who knows anything about this would be great if they could give their two cents.