X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Apr 2015

Any thoughts on the bass trumpet?

Just started this thread because I was wondering what any of your opinions on the bass trumpet are and how they play.
  • Asianeuph
    • Oct 2013

I think it would be fun to have one to mess around with. I wanted one when I saw this video from Schargerl, but as far as I know it's still a prototype.
    Yamaha 642s Neo

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I have toyed with one, but only for a brief time. It was fun to play... a little like a large baritone horn. I suppose that made it easier to play in some ways, but I did not get to play it loudly. No doubt it would be brighter than a euphonium.I'm betting someone on the forum has dug deeper than I.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Snorlax
        • Mar 2007

I have one & use it for jazz...and for Rite of Spring or Janacek Sinfonietta once every 27 years.
        I have an old Holton 58 that I am about to sell. It's a pea-shooter bore, I'd say less than a 2B,
        which I think is .500.
        Use the SMALLEST mouthpiece you can tolerate. A small-shank standard euph or trombone mouthpiece like a 4AY, BAch 4/5/6.5, or 51D is WAY too big.
        I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 12C. I have some very shallow brand X thing. I HATE it, but it's the ONLY thing that works for me.
        Under NO circumstance should you use a euph mouthpiece OR blow it like a euphonium...or even a baritone,
        for that matter.
        I'll sort through the hard drive & see if I have any live recordings.
        Jim
        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• John the Theologian
          • Apr 2013

Do you have any idea what you're going to ask for the Holton 58 and any pics of it?

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

Difficult instrument to play, much more so than euphonium or trombone. Not an awful lot of repertoire for it, but it's very fun and rewarding to get to be the big star of the show in one of the few pieces that do call for it. A good one is going to cost you significantly more than a new top-of-the-line compensating euphonium.

Snorlax is right that you should play it with a much different technique than you do euphonium, baritone, or even trombone. It can be very unforgiving. You definitely shouldn't use a euphonium mouthpiece but I disagree that you need something smaller than a 12C, but that really depends on the instrument.

There are a few different styles of instrument - the three piston valve instruments are most useful for jazz and sound more like a valve trombone than they do a low trumpet. This type is the most affordable. Bach, Conn, Kanstul, Getzen, etc. fall into this category. You see these used in orchestras once in a while when the players don't have anything else. A good player can pull it off.

Then there are German and Austrian rotary instruments that are intended for polka or balkan types of music. They are larger bore, have larger bells, and are more like a marching baritone than a trumpet. Cerveney, Dotzauer, Gopp, Schagerl, Kuhnl & Hoyer, Miraphone, some models of Meinl Weston, etc. fall into this category.

And finally there are the symphonic style instruments, which really have a trumpet-like sound and are usually in C which facilitates some of the tricky high register stuff in the Ring but sometimes also in Bb. Manufacturers of this type of of instrument include Alexander, Thein, Latzsch, Helmut Voigt, and other models by Meinl Weston.

I put together a youtube playlist a while back of some of the good bass trumpet playing I found:
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tRqxTNAWF8KxEr
            Last edited by bbocaner; 05-01-2015, 05:37 AM.
            --
            Barry

Comment

• JVickers
              • Feb 2009

I used a Mack Brass bass trumpet to play in a trumpet ensemble a couple years ago; not sure I'd recommend that brand because the plating where I handled it started to wear off only just one semester. Intonation was difficult to get a handle on, but that may be the case with most brands. In that setting I had to have a sound concept that was very much "large trumpet" instead of "small euphonium" so that I could blend with the other trumpets.
              JACE VICKERS, DMA
              Assistant Director of Bands
              Assistant Professor of Low Brass
              East Central University

Comment

• paulmaybery
                • Sep 2014

I've been interested in the Wessex rotary bass trumpet for sometime and am wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with them. It seems as if it would make an interesting instrument on a solo recital or as a novelty encore after a euph solo.
                The Wessex is very affordable and in silver a very elegant looking instrument - a least in the photos.http:

https://www.wessex-tubas.com/wp-cont...8/P1130924.jpg
                BMB F tuba 445s
                BMB CC (BAT) 865s
                Mack Euphonium 1150s
                Wessex F Cimbasso

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

The Mack brass bass trumpet is a copy of the old Bach design, which is absolutely identical to the Bach valve trombone in every taper, except for the way it's wrapped. Bach has a newer design that's better, but I've played some of the originals too and they are pretty good, but are really a valve trombone sound, not a bass trumpet sound. I've seen some facebook and youtube videos of people who I know are good players playing the Mack, and none of them can play it in tune, so that tells me something.

The Wessex is a copy of the czech-made Lidl Bb 3-valve bass trumpet. I'm sure Jonathan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they just put their name on one of the standard chinese models in this case and it isn't one of their instruments that they've helped develop like their unique tuba and improved euphonium designs. It is odd to me that the Chinese would choose to copy an instrument that can already be purchased at rock bottom prices, and that isn't known to be a particularly good instrument (the Lidl) rather than something that is well respected like an Alexander. I have not tried one of the Chinese ones, but I have tried a real Lidl. Very good sound, extremely trumpet-like. Intonation was almost unusable.

If you want a trumpet-form instrument that you can hold out in front of you, and you aren't going to get hired to play the Ring or Rite of Spring or any of the other handful of pieces with parts, you are probably better off with a marching trombone -- AKA flugabone or flugelbone. Used ones are a dime a dozen on the ebay and they are a heck of a lot easier to play and have better intonation than a cheap bass trumpet. King, Kanstul, Olds, Dynasty, Blessing, Bach. All of them are decent.
                  Last edited by bbocaner; 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• JTJ
                    • Nov 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woll91y1QFQ

A bit of bass trumpet.

Comment

• Snorlax
                      • Mar 2007

...and quite a bit it is!! ;-)
                      Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                      Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                      bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                      Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                      Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                      Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                      www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• paulmaybery
                        • Sep 2014

Beautiful playing on that link. A 4 valver and it appears to be in C.
                        Thanks for sharing that with us.
                        BMB F tuba 445s
                        BMB CC (BAT) 865s
                        Mack Euphonium 1150s
                        Wessex F Cimbasso

Comment

• bbocaner
                          • May 2009

She's phenomenal! I believe she's playing the Alexander Model 19. Good instrument. That's also what Mick Mulcahy uses in the Chicago Symphony and on the CD of bass trumpet and "tenor tuba" excerpts.
                          --
                          Barry

Comment

• gsmonks
                            • Jul 2017

Not all bass trumpets are bass trumpets.

Just my two centimes: not all bass trumpets are bass trumpets. If it has a small bore, has Perinet valves, and a smallish bell (like the Lidl), it's actually a tenor.

To the best of my knowledge, only two companies still make both: Dotzauer and Kanstul.

The confusion seems to stem from a rather loose usage of the nomenclature. The same goes for Saxhorns and Baltic brass. The names most used today were those of their predecessors, which were valved bugles.

If you were to try a Kanstul tenor and bass trumpet (fanfare brass), it would be a forehead-slapping moment that would clarify everything.

True bass trumpets are usually in C, have a larger bell, a larger bore, and a larger, continuous bell throat. They play best in C.

Tenor trumpets, on the other hand, are almost always in Bb, play like contra-alto trumpets (favouring the next register), which would be Eb. From Eb/F on down, they play like dogs.

I'm in the process of putting together a complete trumpet ensemble: bass in C, tenor in Bb, contralto in Eb, contra-alto in F, alto in Bb, and Eb soprano. Hopefully my guys will have a YouTube video of the set up in the Fall sometime, maybe with a short lecture on the horns.

Comment

Working...
                            X