Thread: Conn DB5-valve Euphonium - Starting bid $100 - Get in line

Thumbs up Conn DB5-valve Euphonium - Starting bid $100 - Get in line

http://www.ebay.com/itm/double-bell-euphonium-/171744372626

This was just listed by someone, not me. Looks pretty decent. Seller has 100% positive feedback.

SOLD FOR $1,380 - GOOD DEAL FOR SOMEONE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	2961
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

2. I want this

Bidding is heating up early for this auction. It's already over $400. I wish I could afford to bid on it.

According to the seller, here is the serial number and age:

274997 manufactured in early 1930

Bidding is only up to $510 so far.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Dave,

Have you played one of these Conns? What did you think of it, if so?

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    According to the seller, here is the serial number and age:

274997 manufactured in early 1930

Bidding is only up to $510 so far.

Sold at $1380.

7. I just bought this for my daughter. (We're both tuba players, but she wanted something unique as a graduation gift. Don't tell her we got it. It's in hiding for two months.)

It arrived today and, I must say, I am incredibly pleased. I knew nothing about what I was buying, but it looked good so I went for it. It looks like it's all original. The lacquer appears to be 95% or better. There are no dents and only one visible ding that I can find. One of the large bell's screw flanges was replaced. The original flange (and screw) are in the case.

I have played it. The main bell sound is sweet and mellow. The small bell is quite piercing. Intonation seems good, although I had to put it away quickly due to my daughter's return home this evening. The valve plating looks fantastic for an 85 year old horn. Very little wear at all. They move easily and quietly. I haven't checked compression, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's OK.

I found this post on the forum because I was looking for information about what I had bought. Thank you for having the exact horn in a post! Now I think I have done OK with the purchase. (Plus, I got to join this forum...double bonus!)

Congrats on your purchase. These horns are unique and will probably hold their value.

Welcome to the forum 'saktoons'.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Terrific! You got it for a very good price and it sounds like it lives up to its description. I think your daughter will be very pleased, and will enjoy owning it.

Quote Originally Posted by saktoons View Post
    I just bought this for my daughter. (We're both tuba players, but she wanted something unique as a graduation gift. Don't tell her we got it. It's in hiding for two months.)

It arrived today and, I must say, I am incredibly pleased. I knew nothing about what I was buying, but it looked good so I went for it. It looks like it's all original. The lacquer appears to be 95% or better. There are no dents and only one visible ding that I can find. One of the large bell's screw flanges was replaced. The original flange (and screw) are in the case.

I have played it. The main bell sound is sweet and mellow. The small bell is quite piercing. Intonation seems good, although I had to put it away quickly due to my daughter's return home this evening. The valve plating looks fantastic for an 85 year old horn. Very little wear at all. They move easily and quietly. I haven't checked compression, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's OK.

I found this post on the forum because I was looking for information about what I had bought. Thank you for having the exact horn in a post! Now I think I have done OK with the purchase. (Plus, I got to join this forum...double bonus!)

10. Thank you for weighing in, everyone. Here's an update.

I greased up the slides and did a quick compression check. All four valve body valves "thumped" when operated after pushing the slides in. (I'm not surprised.) There is a little issue with the way the main bell fits into the collar. It fits just fine, but the back of it works its way up over time. I'm afraid it may toss itself during some spirited playing. After we give the horn to our daughter, I'll take it to my local technician for a once-over. It's probably something minor, like something is slightly out-of-round. Any time my daughter's is out of the house for an extended period, I pull the horn out and play it some more. Although I would never take the horn for myself (it's a gift!), I would be lying if I said I'm not a little jealous this horn isn't mine.

Also, I exchanged some e-mails with the previous owner. It turns out his dad owned it. He bought the horn in 1969 and played it quite a bit. (That's surprising, given the shape the horn is in.) He said his dad babied the horn. (Not surprising, given the shape the horn is in.) In fact, the seller said his dad never let the horn travel in the cargo hold of an airliner. He always carried it on, even if it meant purchasing an extra seat to hold the horn. I plan to print out this information and keep it in the case. Even though we may have lost the first 39 years' history of this horn, it'll be good to keep the subsequent 46 years' and beyond.