Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a good cheap euph

I'd like to bump up this thread, as I am no longer interested in a marching horn since I was able to acquire one. However, I still am in need of a euphonium and I would love to buy the Mackbrass one but it is still out of my price range. Preferably a 3+1 compensating if possible.

A compensating euph for $800 is really stretching it. It's too bad Tom McGrady is no longer selling the lacquer version of the Mack Brass horn. That's what I have and at the time (about three years ago) it cost me $750. The silver is now $995.

I'd suggest you call Tom and ask if he happens to have any returns he would sell at a lower cost (unusual in the euphs, for sure), but sometimes it happens. An alternative would be Schiller, but the Schiller horn (virtually the identical instrument) in lacquer is only about $100 less than the Mack Brass silver horn (but maybe they'd sell it to you for less if you call them). I'd suggest calling Tuba Exchange and Wessex as well, but their base prices are so much higher (20%-40%, even for lacquer) that I doubt they'd have anything in your range. But TE might be worth a call since they do have used instruments as well, and not all of them make it onto their web site in any reasonable amount of time.

Here's a Jupiter for $795 at Dillon's, but I'm not at all sure it's a compensating horn: http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-23163-j...l-4-valve.aspx. You might also call them and see if they have anything else in your price range.

Keep a couple of other things in mind in remaining within your budget. First, you'll have to pay shipping (and you may also have to pay sales tax). This will probably cost you at least $50. Second, while the standard cases that these Chinese horns come in are "usable" and are quite protective, they're also quite cumbersome (and their longevity is an open question). If you're going to be carting the horn around a decent amount, you'll get weary of that Chinese case. A gig bag will cost you at least $100 unless you get real lucky on a used one. I've got a Protec, and so does another guy in the band for his TE horn. It's fine as long as you're fairly careful, provides quite decent padding, is good quality, and fits the horn perfectly. This is the one I got, though I think they sold it to me for less than the price listed here. Sometimes if you call them, you get a better deal: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/eupho...protec&index=1.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

3. If you're patient you may be able to get a used Chinese Jin Bao horn on ebay for cheap. I ultimately sprung for a new Wessex, but I was watching for used ones, and they can go for anywhere from $450-800. You can search for any of these brands: Wessex, Schiller, Mack Brass, Jean Baptiste, O'Malley, and Lauren. Also you can now buy them new, factory direct from China (doesn't specifically say it's Jin Bao, but looks like it to my eye). The buy-it-now price for those is high, but I often wonder what would happen if you submitted a lowball $750 offer. Couldn't hurt to try.

A used/almost new one right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jin-Bao-Euph...item463fff48ab
    A Schiller with "make an offer" option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiller-Eli...item463ef6a979
    A new factory direct horn with "make an offer": http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...item25aa91672d

There are differences in quality control for different importers and name brands (and with Wessex there are some upgrades as well). But the underlying design is the same, and pretty solid.

Beware that if you order an instrument "direct from China" you will almost certainly be responsible for the import duty, and so you need to add this to the cost of the instrument. (In fact, this is generally true if you order the instrument "direct from ...". I had to pay a $150 duty on the Wessex tuba I bought a few years ago.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

5. This Jupiter is not a compensating. However, it is a large shank, and produces a decent tone.

In that price range I've seen quite a few King, and Yamaha YEP-321s for sale. I personally would prefer one of the intermediate non-compensating models to one of the Chinese Imports. The main reason is repair people are more likely to be able to get parts if needed and they will hold there value until you can afford a pro compensating horn.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    In that price range I've seen quite a few King, and Yamaha YEP-321s for sale. I personally would prefer one of the intermediate non-compensating models to one of the Chinese Imports. The main reason is repair people are more likely to be able to get parts if needed and they will hold there value until you can afford a pro compensating horn.
    This has not been the case with anyone I know in recent years. Tom at MACK even has parts available. Honestly, I would get a job or some way to earn money, save for a month or two, and then buy from MACK, Wessex, or keep an eye out for a beat up Besson or Yamaha.

This might be your best bet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-New-S...item51d8e1e90a

I know it is not 4 valve but you could get a lot of use from it. I rarely see anything below E anyway.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Beautiful horn at an amazing price.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

10. Marching baritone is its own thing and not really like a euph. Marching euph brings it more toward a traditional euph sound to varying degrees of success, but is a major *pain* to hold up and debatable if the more "legitimate sound" is a pro or con in context.

Old-school American curved-bell baritones sorta have the marching-baritone sound. Easy to march with, acceptable to play inside too.
    Last edited by RickF; 10-18-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast