Thread: Overrated solos

1. Overrated solos

Hey all,

I have an interesting question. What do you think the most overrated euphonium solo is?
    Or possibly, what is a solo you think should never be performed?

Why do you think this?

Jon

Horowitz. Boring music. Heard it way too often.

I don't have anything specific in mind right now, but in general, anything that's all characteristic exercise and no melody.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

4. Sparke - Diamond Concerto

First Movement - "pretty cool piece, nice writing)

Second Movement - "Wow, gorgeous! I'm going to play this!"

Third Movement - "WTF"
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Composer's notes: Hmm, gotta write a jazzy movement. Lets try a faux call and response, write as if the performer is improvising. Maybe throw in a nod to "Take Five," perhaps a little homage to broadway. Don't forget the section which sounds like 1960s movie music. And tie it all together with offbeat accents over a bouncy triplet feel!
    Last edited by JTJ; 04-04-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    Composer's notes: Hmm, gotta write a jazzy movement. Lets try a faux call and response, write as if the performer is improvising. Maybe throw in a nod to "Take Five," perhaps a little homage to broadway. Don't forget the section which sounds like 1960s movie music. And tie it all together with offbeat accents over a bouncy triplet feel!
    Ha! Love it John.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Scottish Folk Variants (notably performed by Derick Kane). It is a SA published solo. Seriously overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    I don't have anything specific in mind right now, but in general, anything that's all characteristic exercise and no melody.
    Perhaps you can't pick out anything specific because there seems to be so much in this "genre".
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Perhaps you can't pick out anything specific because there seems to be so much in this "genre".
    *like*

I'm fortunate; as a geezer player I can pick and choose what I play. If I were in college doing an undergrad degree in euph performance, I would be miserable, because I would have to play a lot of literature that I hate.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    *like*

I'm fortunate; as a geezer player I can pick and choose what I play. If I were in college doing an undergrad degree in euph performance, I would be miserable, because I would have to play a lot of literature that I hate.
    This geezer agrees. Only (seemingly) recently has melody returned to low brass music after a (seemingly) long period of cacophony and general composer navel-gazing/self-engrossment. I also note a welcome trend towards playing popular tunes/show tunes/lite jazz/heavier jazz on low brass instruments.

I always keep in mind two things Harvey Phillips said:
    1. If you want to popularize an unfamiliar instrument, play popular music... and
    2. The most successful music written is both challenging to the performer and approachable by an audience. (NB: That DOES NOT mean "simple")

These principles have served me well throughout my euphonium-playing days. Many of the hot-shots who were at Indiana U. when I was have quit playing because they did not want to--or were unable to--observe these two principles. They were music majors; I never was.

A "non-euph/tuba-playing" audience has NEVER asked why I'm not playing a Willson 2900 with a BB1, whereas I got questions like that frequently when performing in front of "euph/tuba playing" audiences.

Just my $0.02 from a person who maybe thinks more like a capitalist financial analyst than a euphonium player.