Thread: Drum Throne - for tuba seat.

1. Drum Throne - for tuba seat.

Today I was researching Drum Thrones as an alternative to having bad chairs to sit upon. The advantages are: Foldable and hence relatively easy to transport, ergonomically well designed, adjustable height, comfortable seat and an optional back rest. Some with 4 legs are very sturdy. This all came about as there has been a problem with some of the tuba rests not going low enough to allow a large tuba to align the mp with the players mouth when sitting on some of the usual folding chairs. This is particularly an issue when playing a BAT. I have made a tuba seat which does elevate me, but have encountered circumstances where the chair seat is simply to small or with the sculpted contour does not accept it.

The photo below looks like it might work.

On a lighter note, I am figuring I will probably need to also acquire a garden cart to schlepp all my goodies around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 8.57.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	2939
    BMB F tuba 445s
    BMB CC (BAT) 865s
    Mack Euphonium 1150s
    Wessex F Cimbasso

Height of chairs is a continuing problem for me. I'm not hugely tall (about 6'2"), but virtually all folding chairs are too short for me to be comfortable in them, and much to short for tuba playing. With my tuba seat-stand, it gives me enough height (in addition to the tuba support), that I'm generally okay. Even so, there are some chairs that are just too small. I have my own (Walmart), but it's not really tall enough either. I've looked into buying a folding chair that is taller, but they seem to be pretty pricey. So I feel your pain. However, I'm not prepared to lug around a drum throne (which I've also considered). At the moment, I've got things so that I have just my tuba and my large junk bag (which holds even my seat stand). On some occasions I need to take a stand, but with the tuba on my back, I can still do everything in one trip.

About a year ago on Tubnet, the question of lugging was discussed, and one thing that came up was this: http://www.discountramps.com/folding-beach-chair/p/BFC/. I'm still thinking of getting one of these -- not for the tuba and equipment but as a cart for hauling surf fishing stuff. Note that it has several advantages over other alternatives: (1) It's not expensive, (2) it's light (aluminum tube construction), (3) it FOLDS pretty compactly, and (3) it has large pneumatic tires (essential for going across any uneven/muddy/gravel/sandy ground). Also, you can sit in it (though it's definitely too low for a tuba chair.

I'm afraid the next step up would be to trailer a 4-wheeler to sites and use it to transport instruments and assorted accessories. I've got the trailer, but I'm reluctant to acquire another motorized vehicle just to play a gig.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

3. This is the ultimate solution, definitely. Assuming one could overcome the logistics, pros aside, said owner of such a throne better be a pretty darn good player or else risk some serious ridicule from band mates!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim