Thread: The Yahama 621 baritone

1. The Yahama 621 baritone

I am a 75 year old amateur and thinking of buying a new Yahama 621 baritone. Any thoughts or experience with this horn? Thanks.

YEP-621 or YBH-621?

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    YEP-621 or YBH-621?
    For those of you wondering the difference:

The YEP-621 is in reference to the Euphonium (YEP is Yamaha's code for Euph). It is currently discontinued.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...niums/yep-621/

The YBH-621 is Yamaha's 3+1 Baritone (YBH is their Baritone code). It is also discontinued, and I believe the Neo is it's successor.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...tones/ybh-621/

4. The Yamaha 621

Quote Originally Posted by Msan1313 View Post
    For those of you wondering the difference:

The YEP-621 is in reference to the Euphonium (YEP is Yamaha's code for Euph). It is currently discontinued.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...niums/yep-621/

The YBH-621 is Yamaha's 3+1 Baritone (YBH is their Baritone code). It is also discontinued, and I believe the Neo is it's successor.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...tones/ybh-621/
    I'm considering is the YBH baritone horn

I don't like it for brass band use. It's got a really small bore and bell compared to every other baritone out there. It's basically a "student" YBH-301 with a fourth valve tacked on. You can compensate to some extent with a little bit larger mouthpiece, but it just doesn't get the right timbre. If you are looking at it more as a light and portable instrument to practice on, it's not bad -- pretty easy to play.

The YBH-831 Neo is a fantastic instrument, though. Amazing sound and very easy to play. Only three valves, though.
    Last edited by bbocaner; 03-28-2015 at 10:26 PM.

What Barry said.

I have a 621 Baritone...I use it (with a Wick 5 mpc) to play very high french horn parts in my brass quintet, for which my 321 euphonium that I usually use is too much sound.

It really is too small for a real British-style Brass Band.

As to the 621 EUPHONIUM, I wish I still had mine. I REALLY liked it, even though it wasn't a compensating instrument.

On another matter...seems that brass bands are following the American orchestral trend of increasing bore sizes over time.
    I played an Imperial euphonium a while back and it was tiny compared to the modern Prestiges, though I really liked the sound.

I disagree with the YBH 621 not being sufficient for a brass band - Atlantic has two of them and has historically had 2 yamaha's. It may not be the "perfect" timbre but the build consistency between horns that Yamaha is known for, the much improved intonation compared to other horns, 4th valve for ease of switching between Euph and baritone and the fact that the price is much cheaper used now that the Neo is out all point to the 621 as being great bang for the buck. And brass bands DO use them, and use them successfully. Considering you can grab a fairly new one for less than $3k, it's a pretty good buy, imo.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

8. I appreciate the comments. I went ahead and bought the baritone, which is the best horn I've ever had. I play bassoon parts in one community band and tromnbone parts in two others and I now blend better than with my euphonium. I was looking for a lighter 3+1 horn and now have it. I've lost sone feeling in my fingerts and have trouble playing the 1-3 low C, so a 3+1 is better than a 3 valve (like Yamaha's new Neo baritone).

ybh-621 is perfect for your purposes of covering trombone parts, as it has a much more trombone-like sound than the typical baritone. enjoy!