Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives to the Adams Horn

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    I don't remember my friend ever mentioning something specific why he didn't like them but when he was looking at a tuba to buy at ITEC this summer he played literally everything and just didn't seem very interested in Adams. He played all their horns but quickly moved on and stayed longest playing on the Kanstul 5/4 CC in Red brass, and the B&S area, I'm assuming it was a PT-6(4/4CC i believe with rotary valves) that he eventually bought. He played an older used Hirsbrunner and liked it, but he said it just had a few quirks and was too expensive for a used horn. Ended up buying the B&S brand new for around the same price.
    Two well-known tubists, whose opinions I trust, tried the CC and F at ITEC 2012. They said they recognized the HB lineage in both. They liked the CC, but did not seem real excited about it. But the F got them excited! It was a similar experience at ITEC 2014 - people really like the F. We'll see where Adams goes with the CC. They certainly have a good starting point with the HB tooling. It may be something regarding just minor build-points that need to be tweaked, or it could be the choice of metal/weight to get people excited about the CC. I'm not nearly enough of a tubist to advise them on this, but I'm sure they will listen to players who test them and adjust accordingly.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've played the CC and found it nice, But nothing to get really excited about, certainly not for a premium price horn

As a Willson 2900S player, the only brand I'd consider switching to is the Adams although my experience with their horns is extremely limited. My Willson is a very early model, probably made in 1980 or 81. I went to college with Roger Behrend and he raved about the Willson while we were at MSU playing Sovereigns. He studied with Brian Bowman who was one of the earliest adopters of the 2900. I've rarely thought the horn anything but outstanding. There are some intonation issues, but only the Adams is significantly better. The 3rd partial F concert is quite sharp and the A above that quite flat. Other than that the intonation is very good. What I really love about it is the tone quality and the high range speaks very clearly up to the high D. Willson makes a sturdy heavy horn with a resonant tone. I recently played a newer model 2900 at NABBA with a trigger and there were some differences. The newer horns vibrate more(different bracing?). The tone is similar.

I played an Adams at a dealer about 18 months ago. It was more of an entry level model without the SS bell and in a lighter metal. The response and intonation were great but I struggled with the upper range and the sound was light. I'd love to try a higher end version.

Quote Originally Posted by euphphilli View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm in contact with Aaron now. Dealing direct with Adams has already proven to be much easier than going through a dealer.
    To circle back on this one, I understand that euphphilli now has a new E2 that Adams sent him. Aaron updated me today, although I think he was just cleaning up old emails because the horn was delivered a couple weeks ago. See photos of his new horn at the link below. It's pretty nice looking!

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...New-Adams-Euph
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Just a word about alternatives to Adams...Just 4 Brass is now carrying Sterling in stock. You can order a Virtuoso for a list price of under $7,000 from Mark Stuckemeyer. A comparable Besson is over $8,000.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    With the level of euphonium nirvana Adams has achieved
    If this is true, then mine must be defective, because I played a concert today and missed several notes...

in in all seriousness, Adams are well-built, high quality, undeniably beautiful instruments. However, they will only do whatever the user tells them to do. I'm glad that so many here have had positive experiences with them, but I get a little concerned that people may expect them to possess magical properties. Playing an Adams isn't going to fix any fundamental problems that the player has. Same for Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or any other high quality instruments. I love my horn and it works wonderfully for me, but it is probably responsible for less than 30% of the total package that is my playing. It would be like me buying a $500 tennis racquet: it will work great...if I'm a great tennis player.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Just a word about alternatives to Adams...Just 4 Brass is now carrying Sterling in stock. You can order a Virtuoso for a list price of under $7,000 from Mark Stuckemeyer. A comparable Besson is over $8,000.
    Unbelievable that the Bessons have become so expensive. When I wanted to buy a baritone, I initially had my heart set on the Prestige until I saw the price tag of $7000+. No way I could justify that kind of money on a horn that can only be used in one genre. I got a Wessex and a demoed Neo baritone with over $2000 left to spare. Does anyone know what is driving the price of the Bessons so high? I guess they think the market will support it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123