Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to the Adams Horn

1. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm in contact with Aaron now. Dealing direct with Adams has already proven to be much easier than going through a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by euphphilli View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm in contact with Aaron now. Dealing direct with Adams has already proven to be much easier than going through a dealer.
    Glad to hear it! I know they will work hard to resolve this.

FYI, I believe the dealer in question is being dropped by Adams for other reasons.

FYI2 (for all), you may have noticed DaTweeka's comment about being in "hallowed halls for the Adams." Certainly I speak very highly about Adams, and many of the members here seem to like Adams. However, criticism of Adams or any other product is fine as long as it follows the Socratic form: "Candor, intelligence, and goodwill," which your post did.

The other moderators and I try to keep the conversations on that level, and we are fortunate indeed to not have had to step in very often. I'm very happy about the general tone our members maintain here!!! Thank you all for that!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I will chime in also regarding Adams, from a customer service standpoint... I have also been in contact with Aaron (regarding my repair) and he has been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    FYI2 (for all), you may have noticed DaTweeka's comment about being in "hallowed halls for the Adams." Certainly I speak very highly about Adams, and many of the members here seem to like Adams. However, criticism of Adams or any other product is fine as long as it follows the Socratic form: "Candor, intelligence, and goodwill," which your post did.

The other moderators and I try to keep the conversations on that level, and we are fortunate indeed to not have had to step in very often. I'm very happy about the general tone our members maintain here!!! Thank you all for that!
    And, to be clear, I personally have a great love for the Adams euphonium and would recommend it to anyone. I was just stating that the opinions on this board tend to be a bit monochromatic on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DaTweeka View Post
    And, to be clear, I personally have a great love for the Adams euphonium and would recommend it to anyone. I was just stating that the opinions on this board tend to be a bit monochromatic on this topic.
    I disagree. I have seen David and others recommend: Wessex, Mac Brass, Besson, and others. Yes he does recommend Adams but I find it is balanced.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I don't own an Adams, I may never own an Adams because it's hard for me to justify that kind of expense, but the two times I have played one were practically religious experiences. By far the best euphonium ever made

7. With the level of euphonium nirvana Adams has achieved, it's a wonder that the Adams Tuba line has yet to receive much buzz or acclaim over on Tubenet. Their CC looks absolutely beautiful in photos but not often mentioned. Price perhaps? The only Euphoniums that don't seem too get mentioned as frequently here, in general, are Willsons. I never quite understood why but then again I've never played one. I always enjoy keeping up with this forum and have learned a lot.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    With the level of euphonium nirvana Adams has achieved, it's a wonder that the Adams Tuba line has yet to receive much buzz or acclaim over on Tubenet. Their CC looks absolutely beautiful in photos but not often mentioned. Price perhaps? The only Euphoniums that don't seem too get mentioned as frequently here, in general, are Willsons. I never quite understood why but then again I've never played one. I always enjoy keeping up with this forum and have learned a lot.
    I agree with you about the Willsons. Also, when you talk about euphonium brands with band members, a lot of the times they know Besson, Yamaha and sometimes Jupiter but not a lot more, although Adams is getting more known. Willson is hardly ever mentioned.
    I never actually played on one until last december and i was amazed. I liked it more than the Adams E1 .55 I played one week before that, which I already liked more than the instrument I was already playing, which I liked quite a bit. Generally, I think Willsons have a more solid construction, or at least it feels that way. Also, it is far more easy for me to hit high notes on Willsons (I played a 2950 TA and a 2960 TA Celebration) than on any other instrument i played on (including the Adams, where i had to unscrew the receiver gap at least 4 or 5 turns to make the high G, A and B flat anywhere close to even being playable. Might just be my specific airstream though). Also the Willsons have not that much differences in tuning inbetween the notes themselves, so you don't have to correct massively.
    But I too am learning a lot on this forum
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Willsons are good horns and are well-known in some circles. Here is my review of the 2960 from ITEC last year:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...ng-and-Willson

The Adams E1/.55 is not intended to compete directly with the Willson. The two horns have a totally different concept. Adams makes their E2/.80 to attract folks who like Willson but want the other qualities an Adams brings. And in fact one of the Adams artists switched from Willson to the E2/.80 model.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I played a new Wilson at TMEA this year and was pleasantly surprised I liked it. I say surprised because I played an older one at my last school and did not like it at all, the tone just seemed very bland and intonationion on the 2nd valve was terrible with those two horns the school had(medium shank models). When I played the new Wilson I like the response and tone of it, it had a nice characteristic sound on the brighter side of course, but for my tastes I didn't prefer it because it was slightly more resistant and was a physically uncomfortable build for a person of my size, I'm 6'2 with lanky long arms and I just felt I was holding something really small.
    Might just be my specific airstream though
    for the most part that is why I lean towards the Adams I own, it fits what I want and need for my airstreem and physical build better, but the Wilson was a very nice horn and would not complain if that was the horn I had to play on, wonderful sound.

I don't remember my friend ever mentioning something specific why he didn't like them but when he was looking at a tuba to buy at ITEC this summer he played literally everything and just didn't seem very interested in Adams. He played all their horns but quickly moved on and stayed longest playing on the Kanstul 5/4 CC in Red brass, and the B&S area, I'm assuming it was a PT-6(4/4CC i believe with rotary valves) that he eventually bought. He played an older used Hirsbrunner and liked it, but he said it just had a few quirks and was too expensive for a used horn. Ended up buying the B&S brand new for around the same price.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast