So what does an old band nerd do for an early mid-life crisis, after watching the movie Whiplash and having flashbacks of his maniacal high school band director?... Buy a horn, of course!!

I was a fairly accomplished Euphonium player in my fairly accomplished and respected high school band, 25+ years ago. Always used school horns, never owned my own, and when high school was over, never could justify the cost to buy a horn. Haven't played since, but all these years later, I still work through fingerings in my head of songs I hear on the radio. Even now, I'm hesitant to commit too much money on a feeling that might pass, or for chops that just might not return.

So I did it. I bought a (beautiful) eBay, 1920's Conn 3-valve baritone on the cheap. It's in good shape, and seems to play well. I like the CG Conn story, love the horn, am still cleaning it up. Have questions for the group of experienced players...

Is this going to be a decent horn to "begin again" on?
Could it turn out to be a horn I could perform with, or will I need to buy a modern horn to be considered serious?
Is there a reputation of good quality/tone quality on this era/manufacturer horn?

Any feedback appreciated...