Thread: Freedom Through Control or Control Through Freedom

1. Freedom Through Control or Control Through Freedom

This short article by John Rommel is probably my all-time favorite about brass playing or music in general.

I was fortunate to study briefly with a student of one of the teachers mentioned in the article, William Adam (a legendary teacher in the trumpet world), and I was able to learn firsthand the approach Rommel describes. These concepts have truly changed my playing for the better, I hope you find his words thought-provoking also.
    Last edited by JVickers; 03-23-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    JACE VICKERS, DMA
    Assistant Director of Bands
    Assistant Professor of Low Brass
    East Central University

2. Thanks Jace for posting this article.

It does make us think and takes a rather mature and sober approach to development as a musician. Several generations ago the old flute pedagogue Marcel Moyse penned a simple but profound book "Tone Development Through Interpretation" It was a collection of simple, beautiful and classic melodies. Moyse believed that as we approached such a musical idea and sought to render it as artfully and beautiful as possible that our musical senses would develop concurrently.

Rommel's article is an affirmation of those principles and would be good reading for any aspiring musician.
    BMB F tuba 445s
    BMB CC (BAT) 865s
    Mack Euphonium 1150s
    Wessex F Cimbasso