Thread: Boosey and Company E-flat "Solbron" compensated tuba, made in 1921

Boosey and Company E-flat "Solbron" compensated tuba, made in 1921

Anyone have any insight on this horn? A good friend recommended I buy it, but I wanted to see if anyone new of any querks with this horn. I think the serial is 113887, Class A.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I guess I wonder why your friend recommended that you buy it. Does he/she know important things about the instrument and think it would be good for you for specific reasons?

The main thing to beware of here is the pitch. It is VERY likely to be in high pitch. If this is the case, you can basically give up on playing it in any contemporary ensemble. (Note: It is POSSIBLE to convert high pitch horns, but it's quite an effort and they typically don't look the same after the conversion.)

Take a look at http://www.ebay.de/itm/Boosey-amp-Co.../250769765782? for some background and comparison information.

I really like the idea of old Eb tubas (look at my sig), but I'm not up to dealing with a conversion from high pitch. Too much effort for too little reward.

If the instrument has already been converted to A=440 -- AND it plays in tune at that pitch -- then it might be worth considering.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

If you're looking for a great sound in an Eb, do take a look at the Wessex Solo Eb. I've had one for a bit over a month now and the sound is absolutely delicious. I didn't expect to be blown away, but I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    If you're looking for a great sound in an Eb, do take a look at the Wessex Solo Eb. I've had one for a bit over a month now and the sound is absolutely delicious. I didn't expect to be blown away, but I am.
    Thanks for posting Pat. Glad to hear you like the horn. I've wondered about how they play. it looks like a great horn.

The horn has been converted and visually has little damage and surprisingly little tarnish.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Then it could be a neat and fun horn. I guess it would look like this:

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/144305.aspx

Might be a bit tricky to get a good mouthpiece for it unless the receiver has been changed out. The DW 5 works well on my old Buescher.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)