Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams/Bonna Case users

1. Adams/Bonna Case users

Just a bit of advice...

Be certain to have the case zipped before picking it up, and to be safe, be sure to grip both sides of the handle. I will be certain to do that in the future, but I didn't do either last night and my nice almost new euphonium hit the floor. It put a significant dent in the bottom bow and a small wrinkle in the bell.

I have been so "protective" and careful with this instrument, and now this. UGH! I feel horrible about it, but I sent a couple pictures to the local music store and they seem confident that they can fix it. I hope so...

A student of mine had the same thing happen! But took a lot of damage on the bell. He was flinging it into backpack position, so his probably dropped from higher up.

It is good advice to make doubly sure the thing is closed, and even for general wear & tear reasons I would always use both handles.

Hope it all comes out well!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you. Good to know I'm not the only one capable of such a bonehead move. I suppose it could have been a lot worse--it wasn't too high up, it hit first on the bottom bow where it is reinforced, and it was a carpeted floor.

Oh that is so sad. Sorry to hear about the damage!

Ouch! Really sorry to hear this. Hope you can get it taken care of. Hang in there!

6. Thank you. I keep telling myself that it is just "equipment" and it is only money, but probably everyone who might read this can relate how it ends up being more than that somehow.

I met with a repair person yesterday. I got a good vibe from him in that he is very experienced and seems to be very knowledgeable. He said he could fix the bell easily and could also fix the bottom bow and guard if need be but that the best way of repairing it would be to obtain a replacement bow and guard. He also pointed out something I hadn't noticed...apparently the bottom bow is not just dented but also bent slightly, because the lead pipe is slightly bent just before the valve body--and now the adjustable gap receiver "binds" when turned. I am hoping that when the bottom bow is replaced, those things can be tweaked back into original position.

It is kind of ironic because just a couple of days ago I had contacted Adams regarding what now seem like "frills". I had asked about stiffer springs, "felts" with less rebound, and "fashion statement" valve buttons. I got a reply from Aaron Hunt. Shipping from Netherlands for these small items is $35, which would kind of be a deal-breaker for me, but if I have to get some real parts anyway I may go ahead and get some frills too. I inquired about the bow last night but haven't heard back from them yet. It may be quittin' time in the Netherlands by now, so I may have to wait until next week.

Sorry to read about your experience Daniel. Sounds like the repair tech knows what he's doing though. This almost happened to me once when using my Cronkhite bag. As I was putting my horn (Yamaha 641) away, I was interrupted and forgot to zip it all the way. Luckily I caught the horn before it fell out.

This is might be one of the very few advantages of having a 'top-loader'.

Good luck with the repairs.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I think the advice in this thread applies pretty widely! There is Rick's experience above. But also, a lot of the clone horns come in soft cases with a zipper closure and 2 handles, don't they? Adding that pool of owners to all those who use gig bags = LOTS of folks who need to be alert when putting the horns away.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yes they do. The handles have Velcro but that isn't strong enough to hold a case closed under pressure. Being alert is important as mentioned. Horns are too expensive to replace or repair......

So sorry this happened to you, but taking mental notes so hopefully I avoid this issue with my zipper case. Thanks for the warning. It's an easy mistake if you've always had cases that latch shut in the past.
    Wessex Dolce Cantabile

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast