Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing A New Lead Pipe

1. Installing A New Lead Pipe

Thank you to those who helped me identify that Besson new Standard. So my new question is, if I want to have a large shank receiver installed on this euphonium, in place of its medium shank, how would I go about this?

Where do I buy a lead pipe, what is the best kind to buy, and how much might it cost to have this done?

Any insight is appreciated!

2. 1. You can have the receiver replaced without installing a new leadpipe. A competent technician can remove the old receiver and install a new one.
    2. If it were me I would NOT do this. These horns play much nicer and more in tune with the medium shank receiver. Just purchase a mouthpiece in medium shank. (The Wick, Schilke, and DEB (Bowman) mouthpieces are all available this way). This is also cheaper than having the technician modify the horn.

Doug Ruby
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I agree with Doug completely. Leave the receiver as it is. You can get the most popular mouthpieces to fit it, and Doug Elliott also supports this size with all his. Here is a list of the medium-shank models that are available:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t...Euro&compare=0

Here is a Wick SM4MU on eBay ("M" meaning it will fit your horn):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denis-Wick-S...item3cf46aa280

I really liked the medium-shank New Standard I had in my early years in the Coast Guard Band. One of the staff of the International Euphonium-Tuba Festival (Adam Frey's event) owns the horn now. It was better in tune than the large-shank versions I had later and had a very sweet sound.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

There is some degree of debate concerning the pros and cons of replacing a smaller receiver with a larger one. In general (as you can see) the recommendation of people with some experience is that you don't do this. And to some degree this depends on the particular model of the instrument. For some, it's fine to do the replacement. For others not. Unless you've got a good reason compelling the change, it's probably best not to do it.

My own approach to this you can see below. I have a Mack Brass compensating euph that takes a large shank mouthpiece, and an Amati oval euph that takes a medium shank. My Doug Elliott mouthpiece works on both since I just switch shanks. Not the least expensive solution, but it gives me absolute uniformity in terms of the feel of the mouthpiece.

I've thought of doing the similar switch on my old 1924 tuba which has the original "small British" receiver since it would give me a MUCH broader selection of mouthpieces to choose from. Ultimately I decided against this since I found a mouthpiece that works well with it and I just didn't want to do any more "invasive surgery" on that nice old horn.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I too would stay with the medium or Euro shank on your Besson New Standard. There's something about the way they got the taper just right for tone production. I hear that intonation better also.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. At the USABTEW this January I played three old New Standard Bessons. One was being sold by "The Horn Guys" and two by "Dillon Music". All three had the large shank receiver. Two had been converted and one might have been late enough (1975-1980) to have originally come with a large shank receiver. The two horns that were converted were done poorly. One had a receiver that was clearly too short and was pretty much a butcher job. If any one of the three had been the original, I would have considered purchasing it. (All in the $1500-ish range).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. So my last question is, should I switch to the Besson? Or should I stay on my Jupiter?

8. Depends on what model Jupiter. I assume it's not an XO? Those are pretty highly rated horns from what I've heard. Ahhh just read another thread. If it's a 570L go for the Besson and don't mess with the receiver
    Last edited by tampaworth; 03-07-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

If it were me I would go with the Besson. It is a model wide-used by professionals all over the world during its time, and it is still a sought-after brand in the used market. Jupiter euphoniums are good for what they are, but they are not in the same league. The XO is better then the others and its a pretty good horn, but not at a good price point. In any case, I don't think you were considering an XO.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I used the Jupiter 470L for 5 months on a rental and I was pretty unimpressed with it. Compared to the Yamaha YEP-201 and King 2280 my other section mates in community had, it was inferior in pretty well every way. I can't really comment on whether a Besson would be the best option, but I know that I'm a big fan of my Wessex for the money I put into it. Its better in every way except finish quality to the Jupiter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast