Thread: FS: Besson New Standard 4-Valve Compensating

FS: Besson New Standard 4-Valve Compensating

This is an interesting horn! It's in pretty good shape overall, and does not appear to have anything that would need repair. It is in lacquer.
    What I find interesting is that it has fittings soldered in place for (apparently) a Stewart Euphonium Stand, although I'm not sure it includes the peg itself. But by soldering on the fittings it would be a lot more satisfactory experience for one who wants to use the Stewart stand (which I did for a couple decades).

Price seems a bit high at $3500, but there is also a Make Offer button. Seller has a 100% positive rating, and shipping in the USA is only $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-New-S.../301570030582?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	2858 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	2859
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've been watching this relist several times without bids, as I also have a "Vintage!" Besson I'm wanting to sell so I can upgrade, but I can't find any that have sold in the last 6 months, nor could the local music shop whose Sterling Viruoso I am eyeing, were I to trade it in. I just registered here so I can get more info, and if I need to post this question somewhere else, please direct me where it would be most appropriate. Since Dave says this New Standard is overpriced, how does one come to a fair price? The listing does not show its serial number, and I haven't found when New Standards were made, but the fact that it is not on my bell suggests I don't have one. My horn's is 575749 which looks like 1975 on the tables. It has a large receiver and 11" bell, much more lacquer wear, but much less denting, valves play well, but noisy. The bell is engraved "50 Medals of Honour, Besson, London-Paris-New York, Made in England". A "1970's Besson Sovereign Euphoniums" thread here from 11/29/04 suggests it might actually be a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial which were only engraved with "Besson" on their 11" bell. Any help identifying my horn model and a fair asking price would be greatly appreciated.

cooleuph: Welcome to the visible side of the forum!

The Besson in this post is priced a bit high, as I mentioned, and the seller has not reduced it in 3 listings. Plus it has the soldered-on Stewart Stand fittings, which would be great if you want to use the stand and not-so-great if you don't.

Somewhere in the 2k's is a pretty good spot for a nice New Standard. It sounds like you have a Besson New Standard from your description, but feel free to post some photos.

If there is some roughness on your horn, like well-worn lacquer, an attractive price might be in the high teens. Valves are always noisy on this vintage; much more important is the wear on the valves. If they are well worn and/or if plating is coming off, they are expensive to have re-plated and lapped. But swapping in some plastic valve guides and putting new (and correct) felts can quiet them nicely for a very small investment (either from you or the buyer).

I believe all New Standards were made in England, in the same factory as the Imperials and Sovereigns (until Besson went out of business a few decades later).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

You have a serial number in the same series that I, and one of my classmates from college has. So, I'm fairly confident that's a New Standard.

If you're planning to sell the horn yourself, take it to a local repair shop and get it cleaned, and the service parts swapped out with new ones. When Dave talks about valve guide noise, horns of that period used brass metal valve guides, or tacquets as what they're commonly referred to. Provided the valves are in good condition, a new set of service parts should reduce valve noise, along with using nylon valve guides. In my case, I'm shifting the horn to those guides by having my tech install a set of Willson nylon guides, and a set of yamaha Teflon coated valve springs.

It looks like you're in California, and there's a shop there, that deals in vintage horns called the Brass Ark. Noah Gladstone is the owner and frequently deals in the classic Besson horns of this period. As far as where to get the service parts, I received good service from Dawkes Music across the pond. It took about 21 days standard postage rate to get the stuff. A service tech should be able to order the Willson guides right out of the Allied Service Parts catalog. My horn might be done by Thursday, or by Tuesday of next week. I'll update my response too. These horns have a following, and you might be able to sell it right here. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information on those additions to the horn. I was puzzled by them when I looked at it.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium