Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve oil Hetman, Ultra Pure, Dennis Wick ? What's your choice?

1. Valve oil Hetman, Ultra Pure, Dennis Wick ? What's your choice?

I have just received a Conn 25i. The previous owner was using Al Cass valve oil. I have decided not to continue using Al Cass. I have done a lot of reading and narrowed my choices to Hetman, Ultra Pure and Dennis Wick. The Denis Wick seems very interesting because of the PTFE. I am looking for input. What would you use and why?

2. This subject has been discussed many times both here and on Tubenet so some may be hesitant to chime in. There's a lot of combined knowledge and experience on this forum and your question remains a good one. Personally, I'm a fan of the petroleum based products such as Al Cass, Roche Thomas (which I currently use) and Blue Juice. Unless you have an older instrument with valve and casing wear, affecting tolerances, these lighter agents work great applied liberally. Liberal application doesn't take the place of keeping things clean, but most likely has the affect of flushing things down and out. There has been much discussion regarding Hetman's and the infamous resultant "green slime" yet I've never used it so cannot comment further. There are fans of synthetics like Yamaha light, I've tried this but prefer the smooth action of petroleum based. And as all will attest, no oil can substitute for valve and casing cleanliness. Just interested, why have you decided to stop your horn's relationship with Al?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Here's a vote for Ultra Pure, which I have been using for some months now on my Adams. It matches well with the exceptionally trouble free (whatever valve oil is used) Adams valves -- I use a couple of drops on each valve about every ten hours of play and get great response and feel to the valves with almost no deposits or gunk building up.

A second for Ultra Pure. It's odorless and works great.
    My only issue with hetmans is the slight smell, and the buildup it seems to create with my Adams, although not with my Besson... I've used the Denis Wick so can't help you there.

I do continue to use Hetman classic on my Besson with no issues, and very nice valve action.
    Last edited by Jrpetty24; 02-28-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I used Blue Juice for many years, but as my Willson 2900S went past 22 years old I found the valves were showing some wear and drying out more often than I liked. I've switched to the Hetman Classic and things have been much better since.

I don't like ultra pure for two reasons: 1. i had problems with the valve guides on my Besson 2056 when using ultrapure. My repair tech's theory was that the oil was swelling or softening the plastic in the valve guides causing them to stick. Ultrapure says it's ridiculous, but when I switched to something else the problem went away pretty quickly. 2. I'm incapable of using the ultrapure bottle without getting oil all over my shirt, slacks, the instrument. It's not very precise.

I love hetman rotor oil but I had the same issue as a lot of other people with hetman piston oil -- yellow gummy gunk that built up in pretty short order. Hasn't happened with other brands.

The Wick oil with PFTE just did not work well for me at all.

I think different oils react with different people's individual body chemistries in different ways and everyone really needs to do some experimenting on their own to see what's best.

I don't know why the original poster limited themselves by specifying only those three brands -- the Yamaha synthetic oil has worked fantastically for me.

Oh, good! Another oil thread!!! Never goes out of fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I'm incapable of using the ultrapure bottle without getting oil all over my shirt, slacks, the instrument. It's not very precise.
    This is a problem I had with the Wick oil. Something about the shape of the nozzle and viscosity of the oil.

The Wick oil with PFTE just did not work well for me at all.
    Same for me. Mostly the viscosity, I think. I keep it in my shop for use as a general application synthetic oil -- but I still tend to dribble it all over.

I think different oils react with different people's individual body chemistries in different ways and everyone really needs to do some experimenting on their own to see what's best.
    YES !!!! It's about the only thing that explains the truly wide and otherwise inconsistent experiences reported.

I don't know why the original poster limited themselves by specifying only those three brands -- the Yamaha synthetic oil has worked fantastically for me.
    For me as well. However, just this past week I've been using Alisyn again. I used to use it exclusively, but then found that the Yamaha (light) worked better on my new instruments. But last week I was (for the first time) having a bit of trouble with a sluggish first valve (even after cleaning). It's been really cold (for here ) and that may well have been a problem since the horn (EEb Wessex tuba) lives in a large room with a slate floor. I switched back to Alisyn and it's working well. Don't know if the switch will be permanent. I haven't switched on the euph.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I like Blue Juice the best, I find it to give me the smoothest valve action, with no residue. Drawbacks include, the scent (I don't mind it and for whatever reason like it), and applying it more often than other brands. I've tried Al Cass, Hetman's, and Yamaha, they all had good qualities but I still prefer Blue Juice. I also have the intention to try Ultra Pure and Monster in the near future

I use Hetman's Classic on my Besson Sovereign, since my compression is less than stellar. I use Blue Juice on my valve tubas and have been quite happy with it. I have to apply it frequently, but that's fine by me.

I use La Tromba T2 Valve Oil Special... no problems what so ever. In the past I have used Hetman oil but it actually made my valves a bit sluggish and resulted in slime in particularly my first and fourth valve. never had that with the La Tromba.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast