Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording of Logan Willis

Recording of Logan Willis

Hi everyone, here's a recording of a practice session my son had with his accompanist in her studio. Recorded by my iPod Touch. It's not the best quality, but it came through pretty nicely.

He was playing the second movement of the Concerto for Tuba by Ralph Vaughan Williams, the Romanza, as he prepared for the local solo and ensemble contest. He plays a Mack Brass Euphonium with a Denis Wick 4AL mouthpiece.

I've been meaning to post a recording of him for a while, and this came out so nicely. He's 13 and in 8th grade. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement are much appreciated.

We can tell the parts where he wasn't steady with the beat and didn't count his rests well. His low notes are sharp, too. (He's the one pointing this out to me, by the way) If there's anything you all hear you think might be helpful, we'd love to hear it. He's always trying to get better and wants to be a "professional musician" someday.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

Also - not sure if this is the place for this kind of post, please feel free to move it.
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

I am going to put a clarification on this post - We really want any sort of feedback. Logan is really developing on his own without much help. His dad's a tubist, and his teacher is a trombone player (he's had probably 4 lessons in total). And we're really hoping for expert advice. I am wondering if a video would work better...
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

I think he's doing really well for a young musician. He is miles ahead of me when I was in 8th grade! It's a really nice piece, nice job! I think his tone and intonation are pretty good except for a few trouble spots. He can work on flexibility, to smooth out the slurred phrases, and in general to work on developing his phrases shaping (don't we all!); he wants to really "sing" those phrases and inject some dynamic range. This comes with time and maturity, but these aspects of musicianship should be emphasized by his teacher.

Send him to the Tuba Euphonium Workshop this summer. It is designed for individual development and is not competitive in any way. Treat yourself; you should come too! You will both come back a better player: http://www.tubaeuphoniumacademy.com/

I have attended twice and will be there for a 3rd session.

-Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by jakewillis View Post
    His low notes are sharp, too.
    Wonderful accomplishment. For what it's worth, I have a Mack Brass euphonium, using the SM4X mouthpiece, and my low notes tend to be sharp, also. My teacher recommended a slight pull to the first and third valve slides on the compensating side, which really helped my low Ds and B naturals. Perhaps your son can consider doing the same.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Carroll - I would LOVE to send him to that workshop, but not this summer. I just started a new job and things are looking up financially, but not that much. I really like the idea of it and I know he would love to do something that's just for low brass. I am a music teacher and was a pretty darn good tubist in my time, but he's so far beyond where I was at that age, it's been a bit difficult to find expert euphonium help. We live a few minutes away from Oberlin College and the world-renowned Oberlin Conservatory (and several different programs they offer for musicians) but they don't even have anyone who plays euphonium there. They have no band program, just Orchestra.

I really appreciate the information on that workshop, that is awesome. I didn't know it existed. We're definitely saving for him to go to something like that or the low brass camp at Interlochen possibly next summer.

Dean, thank you. We definitely will do that. I didn't know the first valve on the compensating side even adjusted . Great advice!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

So has he done it yet? If so, how'd it go?
    Jim

It's Saturday - I'll let you know!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

I wish him well. Hope what I suggested will help.

Jim - Thank you SO MUCH for your help. He did very well today and got a "I" (superior) rating. THe judge pulled me aside at the end of the day to tell me Logan's solo was the best thing he heard all day.

The suggestions you made made a huge difference to him, and he's so happy to have the piece ready for other auditions coming up this summer.

I just wish they would let us record the performances. All around Ohio, that seems to be the rule. That seems silly to me.

Anyhow, to you and everyone who chimed in, thank you!

I am trying to convince him that he should record a video of it and post it on youtube, we shall see. Right now, everyone is relaxing and watching a movie on TV. Life is wonderful!
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast