Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iiipopes
    • Feb 2016

Dan Schultz at thevillagetinker.com has converted instruments from right-handed to left-handed operation, and explains what it takes:
    http://thevillagetinker.com/projects.htm

Comment

• iiipopes
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by dsurkin View Post
      At the risk of stating the obvious, piano players generally learn to move their fingers just as fluidly with either hand.

I knew a left handed musician who played a standard guitar, claiming that it was the "right way," and any lefty could learn to play it that way. By doing so, he (a) saved some money on buying guitars, (b) had a larger pool of available instruments to choose from whenever he went shopping, and (c) could sit in on a jam session with a borrowed instrument.
      I am that way: left handed playing conventional right handed instruments. When as a 13-year old in 1975 I wanted to learn how to play guitar, my grandfather highly encouraged me to play conventionally so I could always be assured of being able to not only find a quality instrument in whatever price range I desired, but could always sit in with others.

Granted, I have my limitations. Even after playing for over forty years both guitar and electric bass, and because it takes my non-dominant hand, I don't do guitar fingerpicking styles or bass slap styles well, but still passable, and everything else is solid.

Comment

• rrfisch
        • Apr 2012

A fellow euphonium player in my band has a debilitating disease and recently had the local wind shop owner create a left handed horn for him, so as stated above, it can be done. It took a while, and is for a special case. He is going to try it out at our rehearsal tonight for the first time.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170129_214030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	117026

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Nice job! I suspect some of the ergonomics are not quite ideal after the reversal, but surely waaaaaay better than dealing with a standard horn!

Tangent...

Here is a recording and photo of James Burke playing a solo he composed, Danza Allegre, with the Burke-Phillips All-Star Band (the "Phillips" in that name is Harvey). Burke had a deformed right hand, and had to hold the cornet and work the valves with his left hand. It is doable on a trumpet or cornet - not so much on a euphonium! (Burke had been a 15+ pound baby, and a forceps accident during birth permanently damaged the nerves to his right arm. Yet he went on to play, one-handed, with the Goldman Band, the Baltimore Symphony, and the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZVJM0H9Bk

Click image for larger version

Name:	James Burke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	117027
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• BDeisinger
            • Jan 2015

I started on piano which uses both hands. As a side note, we have a 15-16 year old French horn player in our brass ensemble at church. He is severely deformed and has a short right arm with undersized fingers and his left arm is normal size but I believe is missing a finger. But is able to play the French horn. Very curious because his siblings are all affected to some degree with the upper limb deformities. His brother plays violin very well but don't know exactly what his challenge is. Thank goodness for the French horn. He is a blessing to our ensemble. Doug also reminded me I played cello in high school and college. Fingered left handed. Actually the strength is needed in the bow hand.
            Last edited by BDeisinger; 01-31-2017, 06:17 AM.
            B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
            Wessex Festivo
            B&S PT37-S
            Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
            Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

Back in the day (High School), I used to practice playing my Conn 24i Connstellation left handed by reaching through from the back side of the horn. I did this in case in case I injured my right hand in sports. Plus, I also played Cello and all fingering was with the left hand. Also, note that the Holton Superbone requires using the left hand for valves and the right hand for the slide.
              Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• johan
                • Aug 2014

Thx for the input all, it's good to know that it is doable!

Comment

• opus37
                  • Jul 2015

I have a friend who had an accident and could not easily play his Miraphone rotary CC tuba. He had it modified (he flipped the valve paddle direction) so he now plays it with his left hand. He is looking for a new tuba and said Miraphone would make any of their tubas left handed for an extra $300.

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by opus37 View Post
                    I have a friend who had an accident and could not easily play his Miraphone rotary CC tuba. He had it modified (he flipped the valve paddle direction) so he now plays it with his left hand. He is looking for a new tuba and said Miraphone would make any of their tubas left handed for an extra $300.
                    That's pretty cool. I wonder if it only applies to rotary-valve horns? Seems like they allow that type of mod more easily than pistons, but I could be wrong.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• euphisto
                      • Jul 2006

Dan Oberloh fabricated a left handed King euphonium because the owner suffered a stoke and was unable to use his right arm/hand. Pictures can be seen on this link (you'll need to scroll down about half way).

http://www.oberloh.com/gallery/Complete.htm

Robert Pendergast, DM

Comment

• Frds
                        • Dec 2018

The Berlin Philarmonic is trying out a right-handed french horn, specifically the reversed Alexander model 103 (a project they've been working on for the past 5 years). Their goal is to improve the stage performance given that most players are faster with their right hand (right handed players). Additionally, with the reversed horn, the bell is facing inwards, towards the orchestra, enabling woodwind and other brass players to hear the horns better. Check out the explanation of the Berlin Philarmonic's 1st horn at https://youtu.be/fJ61bxBYIOA .
                        Last edited by Frds; 12-31-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• RickF
                          • Jan 2006

Sorry, this was an April fools spoof.
                          Rick Floyd
                          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• djwpe
                            • Dec 2008

I know of a guy (Student at penn state)who had left hand tubas made by Meinl-Weston.

Comment

Working...
                            X