Thread: Flat spot on valve

Flat spot on valve

When cleaning my horn recently, I noticed a flat area on the side of one of the valves, at the bottom. The flat area is about 1/8" wide by 1/8" tall. It doesn't seem to affect the valve action. I have never dropped the valve or otherwise mishandled it, so I think it was a manufacturing defect that I never noticed before. The horn, a Mack Brass euphonium about 8 months old, is still under warranty. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Do you have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    When cleaning my horn recently, I noticed a flat area on the side of one of the valves, at the bottom. The flat area is about 1/8" wide by 1/8" tall. It doesn't seem to affect the valve action. I have never dropped the valve or otherwise mishandled it, so I think it was a manufacturing defect that I never noticed before. The horn, a Mack Brass euphonium about 8 months old, is still under warranty. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Well, I'm assuming you're talking about a flat on the piston. If it's at the bottom of the piston and doesn't interfere in any way with free movement, it probably isn't that important. It's away from the areas that actually involve air flow, so if the rest of the piston is smooth and fits properly in the casing, that flat spot shouldn't cause any issues, really. The piston will still control air flow just fine. If you're not noticing any issues with tone or valve action, you can probably just ignore the flaw.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

I think this is likely part of the price you pay for one of the Chinese clones. I think I've got one of these on the second valve of my Mack Brass euphonium, but in a location (bottom, I think) where I decided it didn't matter. I have several on the pistons of my Wessex EEb tuba -- again not where they have any effect. And again, one or two are on the second valve. It made me suspect that the factory had some "second valve apprentice" who needed to develop better skills. Or maybe it is like the old Detroit "Never buy a car that was built on a Monday" warning.

While I'm a serious perfectionist myself, I have not felt the need to do anything about these since I quickly convinced myself that any obvious "solution" could result in there being a real problem instead of just a minor cosmetic one.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

If it doesn't affect the playing of the instrument I wouldn't worry about it. If it is affecting the valve by rubbing, dragging or causing an issue that's a different story.