Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Besson 3 valve compensating 1963

1. Indeed.
    I really first heard the Euphonium a few years ago to really be aware of its sounds.
    In one of my concert bands, each spring concert we invite and bring out a member of The US Marine Band. A couple of years ago we had a Euphonium player come. He did Napoli with us. Truly great sound.
    The player was Gunnery Sergeant Mark Jenkins. I would expect Dave probably knows him. In this concert I was playing Oboe but often play Bari sax and get to sit by the Euphoniums.
    The link to Napoli we performed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtv5mBvaeM

Every time the US Marine band members come play with us they are most gracious and humble professionals.
    One time a flautist came with another member who was not in uniform. The not in uniform member asked for a any old sax and sat in for the entire rehearsal and concert just to play with no acknowledgement. Always great people.

wow, what a splendid buy!!! This is an instrument you will surely enjoy very much!
    @dozerdan: thx for the link, wonderfull solo!

Military bandsmen are stunningly talented. Every time I hear them play I'm in awe.

4. I had mentioned the tacquets were quite worn.
    New brass tacquets were ordered from Dawkes in england they arrived to Seattle in less than a week. The Nylon type would need the tapped hole the tacquet screws into to be drilled and re-tapped to fit the nylons tacquets different thread pitch/diameter. Might look for the delrin ones later. Probably not though.

Very easy to remove and replace. Nothing was frozen or required any force
    Only a small blunt nose flat jaw pliers was needed to remove the old ones and final adjust the new ones.
    Just had to start unscrewing with the pliers then they easily came out with just my fingers.

Installed the new ones just as easily. Do not force them if they do not line up, better to back out the less than 1/2 turn neeeded.
    Final fitting was simple with a diamond stone I use to sharpen my Oboe reed knife, very very fine grit. More of a hone than anything else.
    I simply used a piece of paper, tape would work, to mask the valve body then I could slowly dress the tacquet while installed on the valve.
    Removing the valves button and cap so only the shaft/rod is left is much better than working around them. Just takes 5 seconds literally.
    Check fitting often and go slowly. Dress the edge of the tacquet to eliminate any burrs.

I also cleaned the groove in the case wall to remove any gunk that had accumulated that might bind/block a new tacquet. Plastic dental tool.
    There should not be any dragging. Feel and listen. None of these had to had material removed on the side of the tacquet, each one still had a bit of rotational play but 1/4 that with the old ones.
    Mostly removed material from the "surface" of the tacquet. Again remove material slowly and fit several times. Very little needed to be removed. Much quieter now.

In other threads Dave suggests this is NOT a do it yourself. Many folks are not comfortable adjusting their instruments. Playing Oboe, Sax, Clarinet I have at times stripped some to pieces over the years and will turn adjustment screws as needed. It is amazing what a 1/16th of a turn will to to solve or worsen an instrument's problem. There is one screw on my oboe you don't really turn, you just think at it with a bit of pressure and magically you can tell it plays differently for better or worse. There a magic spot for that one, ultra critical setting.
    Oddly, the truth is once your horn is in good adjustment most do not change very fast. So once set up well and played frequently, my horns settle in and are very stable so there is no need to mess with them usually.
    Diagnose any problem before starting to turn screws randomly. Understand how everything relates before starting. A Euphonium is not as simple as it looks.
    If you are not a "wrench" person let the pros take care of it.
    Work on adjusting the player, that usually fixes many problems.
    Last edited by dozerdan; 03-03-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12