Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaft diameter information

1. Shaft diameter information

I was looking around to find information listing the various brands and their shank measurements, but all I could find was the cup size in mm. What is the size of the shank for trombone and euphonium: small, large and Remington. How do you measure it? Do you go 1 inch up the shank and measure that or use the very end? Thanks for your help.

go to the bach web site, and on their mouthpiece page there is a pdf of the vincent bach mouthpiece manual. On the very last page there is a chart with all the dimensions you are looking for, except remington.

3. Nelson,

Remington (as in the Conn 24I/25I and certain older Conn 8H and 88H trombones) is no longer used. Remington shank approximates the "euro" or intermediate shank used on the Willson 2900 and older Besson New Standard/B&H Imperial. In order to fit a mouthpiece to the Conn 25I you are about to get, you should either purchase a medium shank (denoted by an M on the end of the id for Wick) or a tenor (small) shank mouthpiece and use an adapter. Medium shank mouthpieces are available from Wick, Schilke, and DEG (Bowman) as well as from Doug Elliott. They are NOT available from Bach.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. On another note, I do NOT recommend a Wick mouthpiece in the 4 or 5 size range (or even a Schilke 51D or BB1 for that matter) for the Conn Connstellation (24I/25I). This horn will generally play quite flat with any mouthpiece that is too large or too deep. A Wick 6BS or 6BM "might" work ok, but I have never tried one. I normally play a Bach 6 1/2AL or 5G on my Connstellation. Even at that, with the 5G, I have the tuning slide screwed all the way in. The response and intonation of the Conn is similar to an English baritone in terms of pitch and the tendency towards flatness in the upper range. The sound is, however, amazing, and much sweeter than an English baritone.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Thanks bbocaner, that was just what I was looking for. I have the printed version, I just didn't look at the back pages.

Doug if I remember correctly, I played your Conn 24/25i with the Bach 5G. I have an Al Cass J1, which measures .4795" versus the Bach Small Shank Tenor at .475 at 1 1/16" from the end. I have been playing my Olds Studio with an Olds 2, which is extremely close to the cup of the Al Cass. The Olds 2 has worked very well for my embouchure. It took me months to find the Olds 2, but it worked out very well.

I am anxious to receive and play the Conn 25i. I have reviewed the pictures over and over. I looks like a very nicely preserved original Conn 25i. With a little luck it might be here by the end of the week. Yippy!

Nelson

6. Nelson, you played my 24I using the 5G and a 6.5AL. Both of these are tenor shank mouthpieces so I provided a tenor to Remington adapter. DEG makes a tenor to euro shank adapter which can be purchased here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass...hpiece-adaptor. With this adapter, you can use your Olds 2.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. Doug, that's good information and short dollars. The Olds 2 and the Al Cass J1 are very similar in rim and sidewall curvature, but the Al Cass has a more rounded bottom and the Olds is slightly more V shaped at the bottom. Bruce has the adapter from Conn that allows a small shank tenor horn mouthpiece and it is included in the sale. I am going to try the Al Cass. The information I got from the Bach brochure indicates that the Bach small shank is within .0045" of the Al Cass shank, so it should fit correctly. If I'm not satisfied, then I may get the GED adapter for the Olds 2. I did enjoyed playing the Bach 5G, but don't remember playing the Bach 6.5AL, maybe I did.

As always you are very helpful, Thank You. I can't wait to get this Conn 25i. It should be fabulous!

Have a good day, Nelson

Interesting discussion about the Conn 24i/25i. I had to file about 1/8" off the end of a medium shank mouthpiece to get it to fit in my Conn 24i. (And was very nervous about doing it, but it worked!)

9. enhite, that is because the Remington shank on the Conn 24i is "slightly" different than the euro shank. Perhaps just slightly larger.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I'm not sure exactly the specs of the Conn euph receiver but I'm pretty sure it is entirely unrelated to what is considered a "Remington" shank as found on old 88H's. That is a completely different size and taper, a bit larger than a standard large shank and with less taper. I think you are really talking about slight variations of the "Euro" medium euphonium shank and you should leave Remington out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast