X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniel Agramonte
    • Jan 2015

Valves

So recently I became interested in the design of valves. Besides the short action valves, which were not very successful, does any one know of valves that have a fast action? The ones that I'm thinking would perform that role the best would be double piston valves or the Allen rotary Valve.

Double Piston Valve Design
    http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/UtleyPages/U...lveDrawing.jpg

Allen Rotary Valve Design
    http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/UtleyPages/U...lveDrawing.jpg

I'm particularly interested in the Allen rotary valves, as it is said that they were popular among American players in the 1800's for their seemingly effortless motion. But would rotary valves on a Euphonium add to the smoothness and mellowness of the instrument, or would it make the sound muddy? If the Allen valves are in fact muddy then this is where the double piston valve would shine, but the major problem of the double piston valve is that it is particularly heavy and would probably cause it to be slower (the only reason why it wouldn't is that the action is split into two entirely different casings. If I designed an instrument using double piston valves now, I would put a separate spring in each of the casings theoretically mitigating or removing the effect of the added weight; this is in contrast to the original design of the double piston valves, which were operated with levers--not necessarily designed for speed). One possibility that I see with the Allen rotary valves is a standard 3+1 (on the side of the instrument) using piston valves but instead of the fourth valve being operated with the index finger of the left hand, it would be operated with the middle finger. This would allow for then the index finger to operate a trill valve using the Allen rotary valve design, similar to alto trombones:
    http://www.hornstashonline.com/image...C131BR-1-0.jpg
    If there is no difference in clarity between Allen valves and piston valves, then this design is useless ,but if Allen valves (specifically on Euphonium) would be less clear than piston valves, then this design would allow for the clarity of piston valves in normal situations and the speed that a trill requires without any awkward fingerings.

In addition I would like to see a Euphonium with an upright bell, Raven Trumpet style rotary valves and with the instrument on the right side of the body (this s how I wound want an instrument with normal rotary valves and Allen valves to be set up); so essentially a British style Euphonium with rotary valves. Thoughts? Also can anybody envision the usage of rotary valves/piston valves in third valve tuning slide triggers to make them quicker/more effective. I understand that some old Euphoniums have 5 valves (and some saxhorns); would having a 5 valved instrument be of any use to anyone?

Would it be possible to have the system similar to that of a double or triple horn on the Euphonium (in E-Flat/B-Flat , E-Flat/B-Flat/BB-Flat, or possibly even a BB-Flat/B-Flat/B-Flat 8va)?
Working...
X