Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chinese Rotary Euphonium Model - Copy of What?

Am I missing something in the description? I don't see a reference to Schiller.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    WARNING: this looks like a "tenor tuba" Chinese clone. I bought one of these thinking that it'd be the best of both worlds... use the C slide when I was playing non-transposed music, and switch to Bb when playing music written for treble clef Bb instruments. Intonation was absolutely terrible... not usable at all in "C" mode and clunky in Bb as well. So bad that the company initially selling these horns stopped carrying them.
    Yes, that's exactly what it looks like: what was referred to at the time as a "baby tuba". And everything said about the intonation here describes the history of this instrument. To add one more anecdote ...

I was VERY tempted by this instrument several years ago when Tom McGrady of Mac Brass was selling them (along with all the other US importers). I really wanted a tenor tuba, and this looked like such a great little horn.

I had a LONG talk with Tom on the phone and he warned me off it. He said that at that time he was no longer selling them, had put his last one up on Ebay at a seriously reduced price and with warnings, and warned that it would take a lot of work to make the horn really usable -- and even then it might not be successful. Instead, he suggested I buy the compensating euph from him or from Jim Laabs -- saying that it would do the job I wanted and be an excellent instrument. This was one of the best decisions I've made.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Gotta high-five Tom McGrady for calling like it is in spite of losing a sale... that's integrity!

4. Demand drives supply so I suppose there is no market for a C euphonium with proper intonation then. Would be a interesting science project to cut a Bb euphonium to C (with the understanding that valve slides, as well, would have to be addressed). Agreed, Tom is an awesome guy, stand-up business person, and accomplished musician willing to share his knowledge without being condescending (personal experience)
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

There was at least one thread in the past year or so attesting to the fact that C euphoniums are used in (as I recall) Spain and maybe Portugal -- and perhaps some other parts of Europe. So they are being made and sold. It appears that the market for them is not large compared to the more common Bb instruments.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I bought one of these from wessex a couple of years ago, and I will dog pike the testimony of horrible intonation. . The thing doesn't have a usable scale, and I returned it, and expressed public dissatisfaction with Jonathan for selling such a terrible instrument

He gave me my money back and stopped selling the horns

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    I bought one of these from wessex a couple of years ago, and I will dog pike the testimony of horrible intonation. . The thing doesn't have a usable scale, and I returned it, and expressed public dissatisfaction with Jonathan for selling such a terrible instrument

He gave me my money back and stopped selling the horns
    Thanks for the first-hand info.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

I was looking at these when I was switching to euphonium because it was like my Mirafone tuba. I contacted Wessex-tubas and got this reply:

"I don't think I have any tenor tubas remaining, but I could check storage. Some customers found the intonation challenging, and we've not yet found a similar instrument with better qualities.

Best wishes,
    Andy Loree"

And later went with my King. However there are Miraphone (yes there are two spellings. I think it is Mirafone for the US until the 1990s and Miraphone after for all.) tenor tubas that come up from time to time. Horn Guys sells them new.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

9. I confirm Wessex has stopped selling these because the intonation is really not good enough - particularly in Bb.

I believe we might have one left in store if anyone wants (very cheap) as a wall hanging...
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

"Challenging" in this case is a euphemism for "impossible"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast