• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

FS: Really Pretty 1918 Couturier Euphonium - 3-Valves - Silver

Below is the seller's description of this rare instrument, but look at the photos here and in the post. What a lovely-looking instrument! Experienced seller is very highly rated. Buy-it-now is $650 but there is also a bid button.

THE HORN SOLD FOR $600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Plated-Couturier-Baritone-1918-LaPorte-Idianna-/321652678712

This Couturier Baritone was made in La Porte Indiana in 1918, Serial # 2042, This horn is silver plated, This is a very rare example in excellent condition of a conical bore baritone, This horn is in good playing condition, Valves and slides move freely, The length of the instrument is 26.5", The bell diameter is 11", This instrument needs no repair and was recently checked at Meridian Winds, The case is used but in good working condition as seen in photos, Couturier mouthpiece is included as seen in photos, Thanks for your interest!

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	120472 Click image for larger version

Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	120473 Click image for larger version

Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	120474
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • Garcky
    • Dec 2014

I love the shapes of the valve tubing on that instrument. It's as much a beautiful piece of design as it is an instrument. It's probably a high pitch horn, but what a beautiful thing.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

The Couturier's had conical tubing from beginning to end. The idea was one could get a better sound by having conical shape to the slide tubing. Thus, as you can see, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd valve slides cannot be pulled for tuning. There is a tuning slide in the leadpipe and one after the leadpipe. I have never played one of these horns. If it is indeed high pitch, it would be virtually impossible to alter because you couldn't easily lengthen the valve tubing.
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Garcky
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by daruby View Post
        The Couturier's had conical tubing from beginning to end. The idea was one could get a better sound by having conical shape to the slide tubing. Thus, as you can see, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd valve slides cannot be pulled for tuning. There is a tuning slide in the leadpipe and one after the leadpipe. I have never played one of these horns. If it is indeed high pitch, it would be virtually impossible to alter because you couldn't easily lengthen the valve tubing.
        Those horns are museum pieces, really. The design is artistic and the concept for them is fascinating. I can't be sure it's high pitch, but that's likely. Either way, though, some collector is bound to grab this.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

I'm not sure I can explain myself logically, but, no kidding, if my house had more space I'd own that horn by now. It just "called" to me. Hey, even my wife thought I should get it!
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

So Dave. Just get it! You know what they say. A man can never have enough euphoniums!
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by daruby View Post
              So Dave. Just get it! You know what they say. A man can never have enough euphoniums!
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Garcky
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                I'm not sure I can explain myself logically, but, no kidding, if my house had more space I'd own that horn by now. It just "called" to me. Hey, even my wife thought I should get it!
                I understand that completely. Logic doesn't come into play at all.

Comment

• carbogast
                  • Mar 2006

I bought the horn at the reserve price of $600. My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"? Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll
                  Carroll Arbogast
                  Piano Technician
                  CMA Piano Care

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Congratulations, Carroll!! I'm a little jealous, but I had my chance.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• ghmerrill
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by carbogast View Post
                      My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"?
                      Well, I don't believe that you've thought this through since there is still further to go with it.

First, you can begin to organize period instrument groups in your area so that you'll have others you can play in tune with. That in turn will encourage you to make more acquisitions of this sort.

Second, you need to be able to play with accompaniment. If you have a piano, you probably don't want to re-tune it to the higher pitch since then you wouldn't be able to use it with your modern instruments. So you should start looking for another piano you can tune to the high pitch. Or maybe a nice harpsichord. This could be expensive (and you might end up needing a larger house as well -- which is more added expense), but there's another more economical alternative: Get a decent electronic keyboard where you can adjust the pitch appropriately.

I think that these are the directions you on which you should now focus. I'm just trying to be helpful.
                      Gary Merrill
                      Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                      Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                      Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                      1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                      Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                      1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• carbogast
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                        Congratulations, Carroll!! I'm a little jealous, but I had my chance.
                        I hope I wasn't bidding against you... in any event, it now has a home where all the forum members can check up on it from time to time.
                        Carroll Arbogast
                        Piano Technician
                        CMA Piano Care

Comment

• carbogast
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
                          Well, I don't believe that you've thought this through since there is still further to go with it.

First, you can begin to organize period instrument groups in your area so that you'll have others you can play in tune with. That in turn will encourage you to make more acquisitions of this sort.

Second, you need to be able to play with accompaniment. If you have a piano, you probably don't want to re-tune it to the higher pitch since then you wouldn't be able to use it with your modern instruments. So you should start looking for another piano you can tune to the high pitch. Or maybe a nice harpsichord. This could be expensive (and you might end up needing a larger house as well -- which is more added expense), but there's another more economical alternative: Get a decent electronic keyboard where you can adjust the pitch appropriately.

I think that these are the directions you on which you should now focus. I'm just trying to be helpful.
                          Maybe a vintage brass quintet? Tuba, euphonium, 2 cornets and French horn. Hmm... even that will require a larger house!
                          Carroll Arbogast
                          Piano Technician
                          CMA Piano Care

Comment

• Garcky
                            • Dec 2014

I bought the horn at the reserve price of $600. My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"? Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll
                            Outstanding. I'm hoping to hear more about it. I was in love with that horn, but it's not in my budget, so I'll have to live through you. Think about getting together with others with high-pitch instruments in a quartet or something. It would be fun!

Comment

• daruby
                              • Apr 2006

Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll
                              Carroll, Valve alignment is actually easy. Just have the technician pull out an adjacent valve and check alignment through the valve-to-valve ports rather than up through the slides. Doug

PS. I will be glad to help you on duets!
                              Concord Band
                              Winchendon Winds
                              Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
                              X