X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carbogast
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by daruby View Post
    Carroll, Valve alignment is actually easy. Just have the technician pull out an adjacent valve and check alignment through the valve-to-valve ports rather than up through the slides. Doug

PS. I will be glad to help you on duets!
    Of course, thank you! Yes, duets would be fun, we must plan on that! Do you have any? - Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Comment

• RevKJC
      • Dec 2019

I recently acquired a similar euphonium--aside from condition and number it looks identical. The number on mine is 2062 which I can't find on any websites about Couturier instruments. Do you have any suggestions on how I might actually find the date for this euphonium?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7315[/[ATTACH=CONFIG]7316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7317[/ATTACH]ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

• RevKJC
        • Dec 2019

How does this horn sound? Is it high pitch? I'm contemplating some extensive repairs on what I think is the same euphonium...

Comment

• carbogast
          • Mar 2006

My horn is the same model as yours, has "2042" stamped on the 2nd valve. Also stamped on the 2nd valve is "PATD Sept23-13". It is in standard pitch and has a small shank but an 11" bell. It has a somewhat "woody" quality to the sound. Although there is only 1 tuning slide, it is particularly easy to "lip" a note into pitch on this horn. Maybe the extreme conical-ness is responsible for that and the "woody" character.

Our horns made in La Porte Ind, with the inscription "E. A. Couturier, Ltd" were probably made between 1918 and 1920. Here is a link with more info:
          http://www.brasshistory.net/Couturier%20History.pdf

It's a well made instrument with lots of character and it's fun to play - but it plays very differently than my Virtuoso, so it takes some time to make the adjustment.
          Carroll Arbogast
          Piano Technician
          CMA Piano Care

Comment

• RevKJC
            • Dec 2019

Hey, there. It's been awhile, but I'm circling back around to this horn again...getting more serious about fixing tbe bell and the lead pipe tubing. I have some questions about playing it...the only places I currently play are the community concert band and church.
            Have you played yours in a concert band or are you stuck to period groups?

Comment

Working...
            X