Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Really Pretty 1918 Couturier Euphonium - 3-Valves - Silver

Thumbs up FS: Really Pretty 1918 Couturier Euphonium - 3-Valves - Silver

Below is the seller's description of this rare instrument, but look at the photos here and in the post. What a lovely-looking instrument! Experienced seller is very highly rated. Buy-it-now is $650 but there is also a bid button.

THE HORN SOLD FOR $600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Plated-Couturier-Baritone-1918-LaPorte-Idianna-/321652678712

This Couturier Baritone was made in La Porte Indiana in 1918, Serial # 2042, This horn is silver plated, This is a very rare example in excellent condition of a conical bore baritone, This horn is in good playing condition, Valves and slides move freely, The length of the instrument is 26.5", The bell diameter is 11", This instrument needs no repair and was recently checked at Meridian Winds, The case is used but in good working condition as seen in photos, Couturier mouthpiece is included as seen in photos, Thanks for your interest!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	2765 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	50 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	2766 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	2767
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I love the shapes of the valve tubing on that instrument. It's as much a beautiful piece of design as it is an instrument. It's probably a high pitch horn, but what a beautiful thing.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

3. The Couturier's had conical tubing from beginning to end. The idea was one could get a better sound by having conical shape to the slide tubing. Thus, as you can see, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd valve slides cannot be pulled for tuning. There is a tuning slide in the leadpipe and one after the leadpipe. I have never played one of these horns. If it is indeed high pitch, it would be virtually impossible to alter because you couldn't easily lengthen the valve tubing.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    The Couturier's had conical tubing from beginning to end. The idea was one could get a better sound by having conical shape to the slide tubing. Thus, as you can see, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd valve slides cannot be pulled for tuning. There is a tuning slide in the leadpipe and one after the leadpipe. I have never played one of these horns. If it is indeed high pitch, it would be virtually impossible to alter because you couldn't easily lengthen the valve tubing.
    Those horns are museum pieces, really. The design is artistic and the concept for them is fascinating. I can't be sure it's high pitch, but that's likely. Either way, though, some collector is bound to grab this.

I'm not sure I can explain myself logically, but, no kidding, if my house had more space I'd own that horn by now. It just "called" to me. Hey, even my wife thought I should get it!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. So Dave. Just get it! You know what they say. A man can never have enough euphoniums!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    So Dave. Just get it! You know what they say. A man can never have enough euphoniums!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I'm not sure I can explain myself logically, but, no kidding, if my house had more space I'd own that horn by now. It just "called" to me. Hey, even my wife thought I should get it!
    I understand that completely. Logic doesn't come into play at all.

I bought the horn at the reserve price of $600. My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"? Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll

Congratulations, Carroll!! I'm a little jealous, but I had my chance.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast