Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: Really Pretty 1918 Couturier Euphonium - 3-Valves - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by carbogast View Post
    My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"?
    Well, I don't believe that you've thought this through since there is still further to go with it.

First, you can begin to organize period instrument groups in your area so that you'll have others you can play in tune with. That in turn will encourage you to make more acquisitions of this sort.

Second, you need to be able to play with accompaniment. If you have a piano, you probably don't want to re-tune it to the higher pitch since then you wouldn't be able to use it with your modern instruments. So you should start looking for another piano you can tune to the high pitch. Or maybe a nice harpsichord. This could be expensive (and you might end up needing a larger house as well -- which is more added expense), but there's another more economical alternative: Get a decent electronic keyboard where you can adjust the pitch appropriately.

I think that these are the directions you on which you should now focus. I'm just trying to be helpful.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Congratulations, Carroll!! I'm a little jealous, but I had my chance.
    I hope I wasn't bidding against you... in any event, it now has a home where all the forum members can check up on it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Well, I don't believe that you've thought this through since there is still further to go with it.

First, you can begin to organize period instrument groups in your area so that you'll have others you can play in tune with. That in turn will encourage you to make more acquisitions of this sort.

Second, you need to be able to play with accompaniment. If you have a piano, you probably don't want to re-tune it to the higher pitch since then you wouldn't be able to use it with your modern instruments. So you should start looking for another piano you can tune to the high pitch. Or maybe a nice harpsichord. This could be expensive (and you might end up needing a larger house as well -- which is more added expense), but there's another more economical alternative: Get a decent electronic keyboard where you can adjust the pitch appropriately.

I think that these are the directions you on which you should now focus. I'm just trying to be helpful.
    Maybe a vintage brass quintet? Tuba, euphonium, 2 cornets and French horn. Hmm... even that will require a larger house!

Quote Originally Posted by carbogast View Post
    I bought the horn at the reserve price of $600. My hope is that it will be a companion to my 1910 high pitch horn and I can play euphonium duets with a friend. But, I'm also thinking "what have I got myself into"? Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll
    Outstanding. I'm hoping to hear more about it. I was in love with that horn, but it's not in my budget, so I'll have to live through you. Think about getting together with others with high-pitch instruments in a quartet or something. It would be fun!
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

5. Quote Originally Posted by carbogast View Post
    Getting the valves aligned and keeping it clean will be a real challenge. I suppose an ultrasonic bath is the way to go. - Carroll
    Carroll, Valve alignment is actually easy. Just have the technician pull out an adjacent valve and check alignment through the valve-to-valve ports rather than up through the slides. Doug

PS. I will be glad to help you on duets!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Carroll, Valve alignment is actually easy. Just have the technician pull out an adjacent valve and check alignment through the valve-to-valve ports rather than up through the slides. Doug

PS. I will be glad to help you on duets!
    Of course, thank you! Yes, duets would be fun, we must plan on that! Do you have any? - Carroll

7. I recently acquired a similar euphonium--aside from condition and number it looks identical. The number on mine is 2062 which I can't find on any websites about Couturier instruments. Do you have any suggestions on how I might actually find the date for this euphonium?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7315[/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191201_134726.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	7316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191201_135221.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	7317ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191201_122547_332.jpg  

8. How does this horn sound? Is it high pitch? I'm contemplating some extensive repairs on what I think is the same euphonium...

My horn is the same model as yours, has "2042" stamped on the 2nd valve. Also stamped on the 2nd valve is "PATD Sept23-13". It is in standard pitch and has a small shank but an 11" bell. It has a somewhat "woody" quality to the sound. Although there is only 1 tuning slide, it is particularly easy to "lip" a note into pitch on this horn. Maybe the extreme conical-ness is responsible for that and the "woody" character.

Our horns made in La Porte Ind, with the inscription "E. A. Couturier, Ltd" were probably made between 1918 and 1920. Here is a link with more info:
    http://www.brasshistory.net/Couturier%20History.pdf

It's a well made instrument with lots of character and it's fun to play - but it plays very differently than my Virtuoso, so it takes some time to make the adjustment.

10. Hey, there. It's been awhile, but I'm circling back around to this horn again...getting more serious about fixing tbe bell and the lead pipe tubing. I have some questions about playing it...the only places I currently play are the community concert band and church.
    Have you played yours in a concert band or are you stuck to period groups?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12