Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resources, lessons for new players?

Resources, lessons for new players?

So blame Fort Worth's Tuba Christmas -- all 186 players. It was so much fun listening to the rehearsal and the performance that my goal is to play Euphonium for the 2015 event.

Being long past the age of high school band, I seem to have run into a temporary setback trying to find an instructor. I know from other instruments that learning good habits from the beginning will save much frustration later on, but so far no luck.

I have tried the (only) local music store, the excellent musical repair shop for area high school bands, and the band department staff at my local high school. No one knows of anyone teaching Euphonium.

I've emailed area college music departments to ask if any of their professors will teach entry level students, or have a brass option in their continuing education program, or have any juniors or seniors who want to practice their teaching skills (and get paid, of course!). No responses.

FWIW I'm in the DFW area. If anyone has suggestions or may be able to recommend an instructor (local or via Skype) , I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    [snip]I have tried the (only) local music store, the excellent musical repair shop for area high school bands, and the band department staff at my local high school. No one knows of anyone teaching Euphonium. [snip]
    Many trombone players and many trumpet players have played euphonium at some point in their careers. My teacher, for example, studied euphonium with Dr. Bowman but he plays trombone with local concert bands and in pit bands for shows. I think if you hook up with a trombone teacher you will probably get what you need.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

3. Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I've emailed area college music departments to ask if any of their professors will teach entry level students, or have a brass option in their continuing education program, or have any juniors or seniors who want to practice their teaching skills (and get paid, of course!)
    That's crazy. In a Podunk town you might expect this, but in the DFW area? I vote for a euphonium and or tuba player as an instructor unless you get lucky with the right trombonist. I would old fashioned call the various college Music departments vs email as it may yield better results. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    I would old fashioned call the various college Music departments vs email as it may yield better results.
    Agreed! Email is handy but often ignored by busy people if they don't know you (and sometimes if they do). Use the phone and be patient. It may be hard to connect with folks, so be prepared to vary your call time-of-day if necessary.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you're a fan of self I teaching, Dr. Bowman has an online video program through https://musicprofessor.com, although i cant speak to its quality or effectiveness. However, you're most likely going to be better off with a trombone teacher if there's no euphonium teachers around (the boat I'm in in the Edmonton, AB area) rather then through a series of videos. I did a lot of self teaching myself for 3 months, and it was slow and frustrating at times, but I did have this wonderful forum and a copy of Arbans to work through, so I made it work well enough to play a concert filled with pieces like Colonel Bogey and such just fine in 2.5 months. Since I've been seeing my instructor there's been lots of 'aha!' moments I don't think I'd have figured out without extensive self teaching and practice, if at all, though.

If you've played at a decent level in the past, you might not need much more than to cuddle up with your copy of Arbans and just get back in shape. Lessons are great, don't get me wrong, but if you've got a passion to play I wouldn't let that be the long pole in the tent. Just grab a horn and PLAY!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Agreed! Email is handy but often ignored by busy people if they don't know you (and sometimes if they do). Use the phone and be patient. It may be hard to connect with folks, so be prepared to vary your call time-of-day if necessary.
    I had a "light-bulb moment" (you know, where the light comes on over the cartoon character's head) and realized there is likely a popular Euphonium seminar somewhere going on now. Sure enough, when I googled I found the big workshop starting tomorrow in Ft. Meade, hosted by the U.S. Army Band.

So I need to be patient for another week and try phone calls then.

Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated.

Hi Dean, (didn't get the hang of the quote block at the first attempt)

Thanks for your suggestion, it's appreciated.
    Last edited by Valerie; 01-27-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: missing quote block!

Hi Bob/tampaworth (I goofed up the quote part)

Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum. I have to laugh because (this may make sense only in Texas) my little town is too small for a Dairy Queen, unlike Podunk!

In a perfect world I could drive the 60 miles northeast to Denton and UNT's Euphonium program, (or at least find an instructor among the senior students there). In the real world that simple 60 mile trip will take about 2 ? hours each way due to I-35 construction. So hopefully I can do that once a month after finding an instructor and Skype three lessons a month. All will have to wait till after the big Euphonium workshop at Ft. Meade is over, I suspect.
    Last edited by Valerie; 01-27-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: goofed up quote in reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Mederlock View Post
    If you're a fan of self I teaching, Dr. Bowman has an online video program through https://musicprofessor.com, although i cant speak to its quality or effectiveness. However, you're most likely going to be better off with a trombone teacher if there's no euphonium teachers around (the boat I'm in in the Edmonton, AB area) rather then through a series of videos. I did a lot of self teaching myself for 3 months, and it was slow and frustrating at times, but I did have this wonderful forum and a copy of Arbans to work through, so I made it work well enough to play a concert filled with pieces like Colonel Bogey and such just fine in 2.5 months. Since I've been seeing my instructor there's been lots of 'aha!' moments I don't think I'd have figured out without extensive self teaching and practice, if at all, though.
    Thank you so much for the tip on the online lessons. Will explore those while I keep trying to find "a real live instructor." My big fear is starting off with bad habits that I will then have to unlearn. I think Arbans needs to go on my book order list, eh? Great that you were concert ready in 2.5 months!

What did you find the most helpful lessons from an instructor instead of a book? Like you, I am delighted to find this forum, where so many questions have already been answered for me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast