Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrpetty24
    • Dec 2013

I'm with Pat. I've played around on tuba before college, but last semester I actually got serious about it and started taking lessons(luckily my professor is proficient in both) and it is was an easy transfer for me. Started on BBb last semester and no I am getting to learn CC this semester. My high range on tuba is excellent, but the low range is a work in progress. It helps a lot with air support and being able to time good breaths in good/as good as possible places. For me trombone just was an interest and therefore when I tried it I did not do very well because I had no desire. Tuba was a different situation. I had a passion to get good at it and asked a lot of necessary questions, some stupid ones too, but I caught on fast because I wanted to.

Long story short, do what makes you happy, and work until you get what you want and then work harder to keep what you have earned. Trombone seems to be the route that might suit your desires, but tuba is also a good option, but there are less spots because there are simply less parts compared to a trombone section.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Comment

• ghmerrill
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pat View Post
      I think that tuba makes my euphonium playing better, and euphonium makes my tuba playing better... as long as I devote enough practice time to both!
      Absolutely agreed. Using them both has taught me a lot about embouchure.
      Gary Merrill
      Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
      Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
      Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
      1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
      Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
      1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Daniel Agramonte
        • Jan 2015

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! While I can't respond to everyone of your posts specifically due to time restraints (I would if I could) your conglomeration of ideas and thoughts have given me a clearer idea on how to get better as brass instrumentalist in general.

Comment

Working...
        X