View Poll Results: What is a better choice?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at B&H Sovereign Round Stamp (1976)

10 47.62%
  • Buy a newer York Eminence 4052 (2010)

1 4.76%
  • Buy something else

10 47.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Older Round Stamp or newer York Eminence?

Thank you guys. I never expected that you prefer a lower model. York Eminence is like a Besson Prestige and it costs more. I thought it will be therefore a better instrument against 967.

David, please read my last comment in this thread. I wrote that I need some tones make higher. Some my tones are lower and I think that trigger would be therefore useless. It is an interesting problem...

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I sense a trend developing! Another option to consider is adding a tuning-slide trigger to your Sovereign.
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

Your question was not for me, but some players adjust their main tuning slide so that the flattest note is in tune. Then use the trigger for the sharper notes. BUT, that might require you to use the trigger more often then.

Many years ago I watched Steve Mead in a live performance using his trigger in both directions. That meant he had to maintain pressure on the trigger all the time. Very tiring. I've not seen anyone else do that since however.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It is an interesting post, Rick. Thanks! Until now I did not know that something like this is possible. I can imagine that this method need a lot of practice...

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Your question was not for me, but some players adjust their main tuning slide so that the flattest note is in tune. Then use the trigger for the sharper notes. BUT, that might require you to use the trigger more often then.

Many years ago I watched Steve Mead in a live performance using his trigger in both directions. That meant he had to maintain pressure on the trigger all the time. Very tiring. I've not seen anyone else do that since however.
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

I second the 'keeping'. Mouthpieces make a BIG difference...

Essentially the same horn as my '66 New Standard.

Dennis

Another option to consider is adding a tuning-slide trigger to your Sovereign.
    Just so everyone has some more info. I am in the works of getting a Besson trigger installed on my 1985 967. I'm using Lee Stofer for the work, but the kit from Besson will cost $450 U.S. and ships from Europe taking about 45 days, no kits are kept in stock in the U.S. Which the shipping time may be less of an issue for our OP.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I was going to add the same as davewerden. I have a newer B&S non compensating and thinking about adding a trigger for the lower notes using the 4th valve configuration. I love the sound from the B&S and it's ease of playing. It's hard to hear your own sound but to me it sounds as good if not better than the Besson in our band.

I see the Miami people (Ohio), have voted for some other horn. Take a chance, and recommend another horn. It's gotta be Ohio, where the most exciting thing is a pumpkin festival, in Circleville. Take a chance.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12