Thread: Please help me evaluate this Besson I found for sale

1. Please help me evaluate this Besson I found for sale

I'm returning to playing after a long absence and I'm out of touch with the market. I found the Besson (see attached).

Engraved on the bell is
    Made by
    Besson
    England
    New Standard

The only other info offered was that its a professional model and a compensating model. I'm trying to get the serial number before I drive the 4 hours to see it, but Id appreciate help in identifying the model and what the fair-market value would be for a horn in good condition.

Next question would be: Is this horn suitable for an intermediate player or am I better of with an "intermediate" horn.
    Thanks..your help is appreciated!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joshbesson2.JPG   joshbesson1.JPG  

The New Standards can be very good horns. By getting the serial number will help in knowing what year it was manufactured. My former teacher/mentor played one like this for over 40 years (Fred Dart). I think his was 1968 vintage.

From the two pictures you shared, it looks really good. I don't see any dents or dings, but I can't see the back of the horn. Also, you should check the condition of the valves to see if the plating is still in tact and check valve compression by pulling out a slide (without depressing a valve) to see if you hear a "pop". Maybe the seller can provide more pictures for you.

Once you get the serial number, you can check mfg date by checking this link.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-24-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    The New Standards can be very good horns. By getting the serial number will help in knowing what year it was manufactured. My former teacher/mentor played one like this for over 40 years (Fred Dart). I think his was 1968 vintage.

From the two pictures you shared, it looks really good. I don't see any dents or dings, but I can't see the back of the horn. Also, you should check the condition of the valves to see if the plating is still in tact and check valve compression by pulling out a slide (without depressing a valve) to see if you hear a "pop". Maybe the seller can provide more pictures for you.

Thanks Rick
    DO you have any idea what it would be worth? The seller is asking $3500 CAD ($2800USD)

"Worth" is a relative term! If you really like the horn, and especially if it is one of the best of the lot of New Standards, that is a very reasonable price. But the Sterlings I've listed recently are a little less in price and a more modern design. But(2) the Bessons are made like tanks. If you take care it the lifespan is very long. But(3) you WILL have to deal with the 6th-partial intonation issues. When I played a NS I used 13 for Eb (concert), 24 for E and 4 for F. Everything else was pretty good.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post

Hey Rick..that links not working. Looks like you gave me a link to a copy stored on your computer>Any other place to look that up?
    Last edited by MBTurner; 01-25-2015 at 11:18 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    "Worth" is a relative term! If you really like the horn, and especially if it is one of the best of the lot of New Standards, that is a very reasonable price. But the Sterlings I've listed recently are a little less in price and a more modern design. But(2) the Bessons are made like tanks. If you take care it the lifespan is very long. But(3) you WILL have to deal with the 6th-partial intonation issues. When I played a NS I used 13 for Eb (concert), 24 for E and 4 for F. Everything else was pretty good.
    Thanks Dave
    I've just taken up the Euphonium again after many (40) years, probably playing at an intermediate level or slightly higher. Do you thinks its OK to upgrade to a NS, or would I be better off to go for something better matched to my ability (like a YEP 321).

A 321 is pretty easy to play and has a nice sound. Its intonation is pretty good, although the 6th partial can still be quite high. The Besson will take a little more air, but not a lot. It will give you a more ringing sound - there IS something special about the original Besson sound! Repairs/parts are pretty easy with either.

Depending on the age, the Besson may require the medium-shank mouthpiece ("European shank"), like a Willson 2900 would. But NS's made after 1974 use a large (bass-trombone size) shank, like more pro horns do. The 321 uses a small shank (tenor-trombone size). The largest selection is in the large-shank category, but you can find good mouthpieces for any of the 3 sizes.

Which horn would you feel more proud to play, a newer, shinier Yamaha or a classic horn like the Besson? It IS partly a matter of matching personalities.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by MBTurner View Post
    Hey Rick..that links not working. Looks like you gave me a link to a copy stored on your computer>Any other place to look that up?
    Sorry, it worked last night.

Try this thread where there are a couple links that sound work:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...Serial+Numbers
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)